What did you cook/eat today (February 2020)?

Going for some salad for lunch today. A tomato/spinach/pepper and feta one with hummus dressing and pita croutons. Served with a cheese braid.

I went to school in Germany for a while back at the end of the 80's and mayo and fries was normal. I got very odd looks back in the UK asking for it for a long long time. The same sort of looks i get here (Australia) when i ask for chips without salt! Then I'll add insult to injury and all for mayo (UK style, not sweetened! )...
Mayo on my fries/chips was something I picked up completely on my own as a child. I absolutely love mayonnaise and can (and sometimes do) eat it straight from the jar, so dipping a bit of fried potato in some didn't seem unusual at all to me.

At home, the most I'd get would be, "I declare, that boy'd put mayonnaise on a rock and eat it!"

At school, it was a bit more difficult, because we didn't have mayo packets, so I'd have to ask one of the school cafeteria workers for a little bit on the side, and the answer was, "Move along, you little idiot!" - unless it was fish sticks or fish sandwich day, then I'd just ask for extra tartar sauce, and that was fine.

We have a very popular local chain restaurant here that's famous for, among other things, their fish sandwiches, which in turn means they're famous for their tartar sauce, because they also use it on their burgers, and so tartar sauce on fries is very much a thing here, especially at that restaurant.

hubby is away from home again, so did his pre-emptive strike and purchased me ready-meals to cover the period he is away. He knows me too well after 29 years we've been together (23 married).

I don't like quinoa normally (I just don't seem to be able to cook it despite following instructions to the letter. It always ends up wet, soggy and overcooked not to mention tasteless but if I drop the power setting on the microwave (mine is 1200 watts and the package instructions are for 1000 watts) the quinoa in this ready meal is actually nice!
I like how that says "100% Vegan" - do they make any that are 90% Vegan? :)

I'm also with you on the quinoa - I don't like that stuff one bit.

Changed my mind. The Hainanese chicken rice shop is open which requires no co-ordination with the painters.

[Edit: I'm pleased that I made that decision as they have now started painting the kitchen ceiling. There appears to be no logic as to where they are going next!].

The painters evacuated the kitchen earlier so I re-heated the defrosted chilli con carne and ate it with a bread roll.

A few days ago the weather forecasters called for an unusual wet and cool holiday (today is Dia de Constitucion). Normally winters are bone-dry with sunny mid-70s days. It's nearly noon now and it's only 60 degrees and already we've had a quarter inch of rain.

My pork and white bean chili verde is nearly ready for lunch. They sell the best white beans here....they really plump up and are super creamy.

Back
Top Bottom