What did you cook/eat today (February 2020)?

As just mentioned above, we decided to have lunch at the restaurant supply store. I had steak/fries and it was delicious, cooked exactly as I requested it. Eating a sandwich tonight.

View attachment 37270

My husband had fried cod and fries.
Looks very good. What's that little squirty tube...something for the fries, I assume?

Looks very good. What's that little squirty tube...something for the fries, I assume?

It's mayo, the standard condiment for fries in the Netherlands and Belgium, much to the awe and disgust of Americans 😄

But our mayo is VERY different in flavor from American mayo. I don't like fries with American mayo either.

It's mayo, the standard condiment for fries in the Netherlands and Belgium, much to the awe and disgust of Americans 😄

But our mayo is VERY different in flavor from American mayo. I don't like fries with American mayo either.
More and more Americans use mayo now, though it's definitely still not a lot of us. My wife and I use a variety of things, depending on the mood:

Mayo
Ketchup
Vinegar
Honey-Mustard
Sour Cream
Cream Cheese-Salsa
Burger Sauce (like on a Big Mac)
Tartar Sauce
Chili Sauce
Hot Sauce

We'll also mix stuff up, like ketchup and mayo (fancy sauce), mustard and mayo, horseradish and mayo, chili sauce and mayo, etc.

More and more Americans use mayo now, though it's definitely still not a lot of us. My wife and I use a variety of things, depending on the mood:

Mayo
Ketchup
Vinegar
Honey-Mustard
Sour Cream
Cream Cheese-Salsa
Burger Sauce (like on a Big Mac)
Tartar Sauce
Chili Sauce
Hot Sauce

We'll also mix stuff up, like ketchup and mayo (fancy sauce), mustard and mayo, horseradish and mayo, chili sauce and mayo, etc.

Sounds good, we do vary it from time to time too.

We use;
Garlic sauce
Siracha mayo
Ketchup
Mayo & apple sauce ( seperately on the plate lol)
Spicy peanut sauce ( A Dutch Indonesian vice)
Or curry mayo

Fries+mayo= count me in! I just love this combo

And I’ve just remembered about a mayo I made on my own long time ago..

I love mayo on fries (not on chips).​
I made Nigerian catfish pepper soup. It was delicious. I had it at a friend's house the other week and she described how to make it and gave me a frozen catfish.​
The shop in our city that sells the spice is in walking distance from me, so I was all prepared.​
I did add to it, so not authentic as such, but my friend and the man in the shop said there were the main ingredients - then add whatever you want.​

Yes, our daughter was just ruined 😉for french fries when she went to Belgium during high school.

Spanish omelette with potatoes, onions and chorizo (homemade) with a pimenton/garlic aioli. Salad is mandolin sliced red onion, avocado and blood orange segments.

Sounds good, we do vary it from time to time too.

We use;
Garlic sauce
Siracha mayo
Ketchup
Mayo & apple sauce ( seperately on the plate lol)
Spicy peanut sauce ( A Dutch Indonesian vice)
Or curry mayo

When I have fish and chips, I sprinkle my fries/chips with malt vinegar and dip them in tartar sauce.

Otherwise, chips/fries are the only food I can think of that I eat with ketchup.

CD

Roger Burton - in case you're like me and on a phone exclusively (or even not exclusively :laugh:, when you first click on the topic, if you just barely scroll down, you'll see two green arrows appear in the lower-right corner; touch one and it goes all the way to the top, touch the other and it goes all the way to the bottom.

That'll get you down to the bottom in a flash, and then you'll see the little posting form at the bottom. It doesn't matter if you're on the first or last page of a topic. It'll be there regardless, and you can post away.

Also, it's a little disorienting at first, but if you do that from the first page, it'll initially look as if you've posted to the first page. You'll see all the responses in the first page, and yours tacked on the bottom, but it's really at the bottom of the last page. Sounds confusing, but it's not.

Lastly, it you prefer to go to the last page of the thread, you can do that by hitting the tiny little "fast-forward" arrows near the top, by the Next and Prev buttons. That'll take you to the last page of the topic, then you can scroll to the bottom of that page, and there's the posting form, ready to go.

I'd do screenshots, but I'm cooking breakfast and typing with one thumb. :)
Thanks TR good of you and very good mono-thumb typing ....

I went to school in Germany for a while back at the end of the 80's and mayo and fries was normal. I got very odd looks back in the UK asking for it for a long long time. The same sort of looks i get here (Australia) when i ask for chips without salt! Then I'll add insult to injury and all for mayo (UK style, not sweetened! )...

hubby is away from home again, so did his pre-emptive strike and purchased me ready-meals to cover the period he is away. He knows me too well after 29 years we've been together (23 married).

I don't like quinoa normally (I just don't seem to be able to cook it despite following instructions to the letter. It always ends up wet, soggy and overcooked not to mention tasteless but if I drop the power setting on the microwave (mine is 1200 watts and the package instructions are for 1000 watts) the quinoa in this ready meal is actually nice!

Just on the chips thing, I've discovered here in Bali that kecap manis is really nice on them. Have been here heaps before but strangely never tried putting it on my chips before this trip, even though they put a bottle on the table (along with the obligatory bottles of tomato sauce and chilli sauce).

Back
Top Bottom