What did you cook/eat today (January 2020)?

Pasta with lentils for today’s lunch

They look very similar...maybe one is bigger?

Gemelli

View attachment 36821

Casarecce

View attachment 36822
I have no idea. Being an American citizen, I grew up with three pasta shapes; spaghetti, elbow, and lasagna noodles! :laugh:

Seriously, though, it really is amazing, just in my lifetime, how many more international products are available in even small towns around the world. I wrote down the pasta names because (except for penne), I'd never heard of them. I fully expected to have to go to the gourmet grocer, and even then, I wasn't getting my hopes up.

Kroger has an International Foods half-aisle, and it's different from their regular items, meaning I can get pasta in the International Foods area, but I can also get it in the regular pasta aisle, so I naturally checked the International section first, nothing there by those names, and just checked the regular pasta aisle on a lark, and there it was, tucked up in the corner, out of sight.

Maybe MypinchofItaly can tell us the difference between the two shapes. Maybe they're regional names for the same thing?

They look very similar...maybe one is bigger?

Gemelli

View attachment 36821

Casarecce

View attachment 36822
Ok, a (very) little searching turned up this image:

...and it's labeled "Gemelli," and doing just an image search on that term pulls up images of both shapes with that name. Also, the picture in my Costco book shows the pasta shape I just posted.

That leads me to think it's a similar/same pasta shape masquerading under different names in different areas.

Ok, a (very) little searching turned up this image:

...and it's labeled "Gemelli," and doing just an image search on that term pulls up images of both shapes with that name. Also, the picture in my Costco book shows the pasta shape I just posted.

That leads me to think it's a similar/same pasta shape masquerading under different names in different areas.

The plot thickens! Or twists....

I found this

Gemelli | Pasta Fits
The pasta shape gemelli appears to be made of two strands of pasta that are twisted together, when in fact, it is just one. These small pasta shapes are wonderful for a wide variety of recipes, as their shape allows for sauces to attach nicely to the pasta increasing flavor in each bite.

Gemelli pairs nicely with meat, cream-based sauces, seafood and vegetable dishes.

Casarecce | Pasta Fits
Casarecce is usually made with durum wheat. Casarecce used to be made with traditional Italian bronze plates for a homemade al dente texture that perfectly holds sauces every time... Its loose fitting shape makes it ideal for a variety of dishes, and it works especially well in baked casseroles. Since this pasta shape is of the short variety it is great to try out in new recipes.

Casarecce originated from South Italy, specifically in Sicily.

I have no idea. Being an American citizen, I grew up with three pasta shapes; spaghetti, elbow, and lasagna noodles! :laugh:

Seriously, though, it really is amazing, just in my lifetime, how many more international products are available in even small towns around the world. I wrote down the pasta names because (except for penne), I'd never heard of them. I fully expected to have to go to the gourmet grocer, and even then, I wasn't getting my hopes up.

Kroger has an International Foods half-aisle, and it's different from their regular items, meaning I can get pasta in the International Foods area, but I can also get it in the regular pasta aisle, so I naturally checked the International section first, nothing there by those names, and just checked the regular pasta aisle on a lark, and there it was, tucked up in the corner, out of sight.

Maybe MypinchofItaly can tell us the difference between the two shapes. Maybe they're regional names for the same thing?

I have no idea either, and I am an Italian citizen 😆

I’ve taken a look on Internet and it seems that they are from Abruzzo region, not from Puglia... Anyway, I’ll come back to read better about Gemelli, and as the name says, Casarecce and Gemelli are practically twins. And I wonder why to create them.. it will be a good reason somewhere

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom