What did you cook/eat today (January 2020)?

Cup of tea and an unusual thing for me, a slice of cheesecake, my lady friend made it herself, I never had any last night when we had friends for dinner. It's 1pm here ATM.
I'm watching horse racing.

Russ

We tried a new place tonight, Yardhouse. A bit of a drive and there isn't much parking so you are basically forced to use valet, but the food was pretty good. It's a sports bar that serves upscale bar/gastronomy pub type food. We had deviled eggs with candied bacon, spicy tomato sauce, chili sauce and chives for an appy. We both had street tacos for our meal. Craig had carne asada with rice and beans. He said all were pretty spicy and had a good flavor. Mine were a Vampire taco, with a crispy cheese outer crust with carnitas and chorizo, and an al pastor with pork belly, fresh pineapple and finely chopped red onion. DessertS were cheesecake brulee and espressos.

My tacos.

Last edited:
We tried a new place tonight, Yardhouse. A bit of a drive and there isn't much parking so you are basically forced to use valet, but the food was pretty good. It's a sports bar that serves upscale bar/gastronomy pub type food. We had deviled eggs with candied bacon, spicy tomato sauce, chili sauce and chives for an appy. We both had street tacos for our meal. Craig had carne asada with rice and beans. He said all were pretty spicy and had a good flavor. Mine were a Vampire taco, with a crispy cheese outer crust with carnival and chorizo, and an al pastor with pork belly, fresh pineapple and finely chopped red onion. DessertS were cheesecake brulee and espressos.

My tacos.

View attachment 36843
Assuming it's part of the same chain, we have one here. My niece was the manager for a couple of years!

After 20 years I finally got around to attempting to cook a Thai red chicken curry. My normal first attempts at something new are well below expectations but I was extremely pleased with this. It was delightful (albeit spicy). Of course my wife had to stick her oar in so whether that affected the outcome, I'm not sure ("you don't put lime juice in red curry!").

Anyway this is it:

Stir fried vegetables (carrot, capsicum, chilli, spring onion, cucumber and garlic)

Cooked (with chicken, fish sauce, yoghurt (in lieu of coconut milk), chicken stock, kaffir lime leaves, red curry paste, spring onion leaves and coriander leaves)

Served with Jasmine rice

Yorky - when your wife says that, that's when you come back with, "I know you don't put lime juice in, but I do!" :)

Very '70's dinner party fare: quartered pineapple, sectioned and soaked in rum and ground ginger.

How does mine compare to the cookbook's?

Part of the cookbook game, I'll get it written up later.
When I drove a dive boat and had cops on board, my dive master would always spike the customary after dive pineapple with 151. Works well with watermelon too.

Yorky - when your wife says that, that's when you come back with, "I know you don't put lime juice in, but I do!" :)

I didn't put lime juice in the curry (I know my place!). I also took her advice that I should add three tablespoons of red curry paste and not two. And one tablespoon of fish sauce, not two.

Whether it would have tasted better "my way" I'll probably never know but in the end it was very good. My main concern was substituting yoghurt for coconut milk but that didn't seem to concern her.

I didn't put lime juice in the curry (I know my place!). I also took her advice that I should add three tablespoons of red curry paste and not two. And one tablespoon of fish sauce, not two.

Whether it would have tasted better "my way" I'll probably never know but in the end it was very good. My main concern was substituting yoghurt for coconut milk but that didn't seem to concern her.

It looks very good - did you use a pre-made red paste? I'm sure there is a wide selection of red pastes to be had in Thailand.

It looks very good - did you use a pre-made red paste? I'm sure there is a wide selection of red pastes to be had in Thailand.

Yes I did. It wasn't the one my wife prefers (the shop had sold out), it was "Kanokwan". And there are probably hundreds, if not thousands of red curry pastes here.

By the way, I used our own kaffir lime leaves! I never knew that we had a kaffir lime bush until today!

I think you sort of did - (but forgot) because I remember long ago saying to you how I envied you having a kaffir lime because of the leaves. Next time you cook rice, put a few leaves in the water. The rice will taste fantastic.

Last edited:
By the way, I used our own kaffir lime leaves! I never knew that we had a kaffir lime bush until today!

Mine is growing wee limes now, I don't have paste available here so I make my own. As posted a few weeks ago.
Yours looks real good.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom