What did you cook/eat today (January 2020)?

Mixed veg creamy soup for dinner

A supermarket-bought tin of chilli con carné, served on a bed of 'instant' (5 mins, boiled in a bag) bulghur wheat.

I 'boosted' the chilli with a liberal helping of harissa and a pinch of ground cumin.

A perfect dinner in front of the fire after a couple of very cold hours' cycling this afternoon.

Last night, the bar & grille down the corner did a taco special, $1 tacos, so we had that. For lunch, I ate at the local butcher/deli shop, bacon cheeseburger, waffle fries, and a drink for $7.

Tonight will be salad.

Prior to losing electricity 4 hours ago (its lunchtime now), I managed to get the almond feta cheese baked.

And lunch today was another cheese I made yesterday from tofu and cashew nuts. You honestly can not tell it is made with tofu. I'm really surprised by it. I've yet to photo it because the light in the middle of a major dust storm isn't particularly good especially when you're without electricity as well and the battery on your phone is nearly dead... but it is really nice creamy boursin replacement. It needs a little more tweaking but it is almost there.

It is the ½ slice on the right hand side under the homemade tomato chutney!

Now that electricity and satelite broadband are back, I can update yesterday's cooking along with a little this evening as well.

I think I commented yesterday that I had made a tofu based boursin replacement that I wasn't completely sure about. Well leaving it in the fridge overnight as per the recipe instructions, has completely changed its taste. And it is much nicer and closer to how I remember a garlic herbed boursin to have been. It uses tofu (firm not silken), cashew nuts and (refined if I had any) coconut oil as its base. I didn't add the water required but found that my food processer casper recipe) didn't produce a smooth enough paste for my liking, so it went into the Vitamix which made short work of it and produced a lovely smooth paste. It was the taste that I hadn't been sure about, but overnight it has changed and improved. Next time I'll make sure my dried herbs are more finely chopped but overall I think it may just pass the hubby test (assuming he actually manages to get home tomorrow).

I also did a 'taste test' on my baked 'feta' cheese. It didn't really need one :whistling: but I felt that there was a need to conduct one... I may have to sample another slice tomorrow to double check...

Then to this evening's evening meal.

I had an egg with a dodgy shell (the chook concerned has developed some really bad egg shell problems this season and I'm loosing the battle). Eaten the same day, if the membrane is still intact, they are perfectly fine to eat, so evening meal needed to include an egg...

I was intrigued by an entry morning glory made in the Alphabet quiz. I'd not heard of it and fancied trying to make a dairy-free version of it (The original features a lot of calories from frying the bread in a lot of butter and with over 600 calories for what was essentially toast, egg and stock I needed to remove some calories from it as well!d)

Bread and egg soup (Zuppa alla Pavese)

So, a random soup from the freezer which may or may not have matched the label "veg soup", 2 partially fried eggs and a slice of unfried bread (homemade of course) and an evening meal with a difference. The eggs cooked out by virtue of the hot soup being poured over them.

Spot on!

Now that electricity and satelite broadband are back, I can update yesterday's cooking along with a little this evening as well.

I think I commented yesterday that I had made a tofu based boursin replacement that I wasn't completely sure about. Well leaving it in the fridge overnight as per the recipe instructions, has completely changed its taste. And it is much nicer and closer to how I remember a garlic herbed boursin to have been. It uses tofu (firm not silken), cashew nuts and (refined if I had any) coconut oil as its base. I didn't add the water required but found that my food processer casper recipe) didn't produce a smooth enough paste for my liking, so it went into the Vitamix which made short work of it and produced a lovely smooth paste. It was the taste that I hadn't been sure about, but overnight it has changed and improved. Next time I'll make sure my dried herbs are more finely chopped but overall I think it may just pass the hubby test (assuming he actually manages to get home tomorrow).

I also did a 'taste test' on my baked 'feta' cheese. It didn't really need one :whistling: but I felt that there was a need to conduct one... I may have to sample another slice tomorrow to double check...

Both the cheeses look very good.

I have a fondness for broad beans. I also have a fondness for curry, so a combination of the two suits me very well. This has plenty of green lentils, a few other little bits and pieces and is served up with hot mango chutney, mixed pickle and yoghurt.

View attachment 36996eans

I also love broad beans and for some reason have never thought to use them in curry. What a lovely idea.

Back
Top Bottom