What did you cook/eat today (June 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday lunch was potatoes salad with tuna, tzatziki sauce ( homemade), boiled eggs, poppy seeds, fresh thyme and a little Evoo.
IMG-20170501-WA0019.jpg

Sorry @The Velvet Curtain. - we are just jesting. I'm sure it was all delicious. I don't make home-made burgers very often. Somehow they seem to go a bit 'hard'. What kind of beef mince do you use? Is it high fat or low fat?
I smiled at the jokes :okay:.

The burgers were 10% fat beef mince, just seasoned with salt and pepper then shaped in a cooking ring slightly larger than the bun. I don't press the meat down too hard, but it is quite thin, more like the kind of pattie you get in those high street places rather than the thick pucks that supermarkets do. I then fry them in a very hot dry pan, flipping regularly to get an even colour, then let them rest for a couple of minutes to relax and the heat even out.

I smiled at the jokes :okay:.

The burgers were 10% fat beef mince, just seasoned with salt and pepper then shaped in a cooking ring slightly larger than the bun. I don't press the meat down too hard, but it is quite thin, more like the kind of pattie you get in those high street places rather than the thick pucks that supermarkets do. I then fry them in a very hot dry pan, flipping regularly to get an even colour, then let them rest for a couple of minutes to relax and the heat even out.

Maybe that is my problem - I'm aiming too thick. I also tend to use higher fat mince as I have read/heard it makes for a more succulent result. Next time I will try your recipe.

Duck Confit (one of my fav recipes) - (marinaded with garlic, thyme + bayleaf overnight) French recipe that's big on flavour and minimal fat!
Eaten with baked potatoes and green stock/sauce with flat leaf parsley.

b0d996ee-3a26-4edc-a140-d2e6a8394f25_zpseexxqiut.jpg

Duck confit is indeed a wonderful thing. What was the fat you used for the confit?

Duck confit is indeed a wonderful thing. What was the fat you used for the confit?
Well it's not a typical recipe for Duck confit (although it sported this name). No fat involved but slow rendering of the fat in the duck! It's very slowly simmered, with a very small quantity of water/wine for 2 hours! This produces some duck fat/oil, (which I tip off to use for other dishes) and a divine, concentrated juice! Truly tender and very delicious (due to the marinade).

Well it's not a typical recipe for Duck confit (although it sported this name). No fat involved but slow rendering of the fat in the duck! It's very slowly simmered, with a very small quantity of water/wine for 2 hours! This produces some duck fat/oil, (which I tip off to use for other dishes) and a divine, concentrated juice! Truly tender and very delicious (due to the marinade).

Interesting. Maybe you should post up the recipe?:)

Bratwurst, chicken fried steak, 2 enchiladas, some very garlicky mushrooms (someone had put dried minced garlic in canned mushrooms)(whoever it was knew nothing about either)(yes in a restaurant).
A bit of fried potatoes and a smidgen of apple cobbler.
Main dishes were good, the sides left a lot to be desired.

Interesting. Maybe you should post up the recipe?:)
Yes I could do. I forgot to say that I tried a variation of the recipe (adapted from what I read elsewhere) whereby I baked it in a very low oven (Mk 2) for the same length of time - turning up the heat for the last 20 mins to crisp it. Whilst it was still flavourful and had the bonus of a crispy skin (I disliked the flabby skin produced from the simmering method), it was less tender....so not sure which method I should post really!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom