What did you cook/eat today (June 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I could do. I forgot to say that I tried a variation of the recipe (adapted from what I read elsewhere) whereby I baked it in a very low oven (Mk 2) for the same length of time - turning up the heat for the last 20 mins to crisp it. Whilst it was still flavourful and had the bonus of a crispy skin (I disliked the flabby skin produced from the simmering method), it was less tender....so not sure which method I should post really!

I was going to ask how a confit was minimal fat. So, it was just low and slow, something that the treatment of duck takes to,,, well , like a pond in earlier years. :happy:

I've a lot of catching up to do....

Saturday night was simply chickpea burgers with mayo, senap and light rye bread. I found out that the $8 chips we had on Friday night as part of national fish and chip day in the UK were actually only half of what came.... the other half (a larger half) my husband didn't tell me about (and we struggled to eat all of that half as it was) he threw away! I could easily have reheated them....

Sunday lunch was coddled eggs on toast.
Sunday evening meal was cooked before my husband even got up on Sunday and was roasted pumpkin, carrot, red lentil and onion soup. It was flavoured with simply roasted cumin and coriander seeds (1 heaped tablespoon of each ) and turmeric. I needed something that used the roasted pumpkin up, and was quick and easy. It was served with rye bread.

So far today, I have made the vegan creamy lemon slices (how they get them that yellow is beyond me though)... and last night the lemon slices were sugared and put into the fridge to marinate overnight. I need to bring them out to warm up to room temp (along with 5 eggs) and make the sweet shortcrust pastry next.... The creamy vegan lemon slices are cooked and cooling. Next they need to go into the fridge so they can cool and stand overnight for some reason. They may not make it to that stage... I'm rather fancying trying one sooner rather than later! Perhaps once I have hung the washing on the line...

We had huge salads. I had some cornbread with mine, hubby tore a chunk of baguette off of what is left of the loaf.

20170604_213901.jpg

Attachments

• 20170604_213901.jpg
    20170604_213901.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 215
Lessee, bucky...baby carrots cut into matchsticks, fresh cucumber from the farm stand, celery, baby radishes cut into quarters, raw mushrooms, bacon, and crumbles of Cablanca cheese, a Danish goat's milk cheese.

Thanks - it was yummy.

My wife made these "open" BLTs. They were OK.

BLT june 1 s.jpg

Tonight's dinner will be salad. I have had one of those accident-prone days, where a bag of cat litter split and went all over the driver's seat in my car, and I caught a bag of peas on the lock when I went to put it in the freezer. I daren't risk turning the oven or the hob on. Who know what havoc I could wreak :roflmao:

Tonight's dinner will be salad. I have had one of those accident-prone days, where a bag of cat litter split and went all over the driver's seat in my car, and I caught a bag of peas on the lock when I went to put it in the freezer. I daren't risk turning the oven or the hob on. Who know what havoc I could wreak :roflmao:
I found a few beldi and Kalamata olives in a rosemary and lemon dressing in the cupboard, so they went in the salad along with a couple of hard boiled eggs. Otherwise there were mixed salad leaves and lettuce with spring onions, cucumber, radishes and cherry tomatoes (all fresh delivered this morning). Followed it all up with some of Tesco's slightly imperfect strawberries and semolina.

I found a few beldi and Kalamata olives in a rosemary and lemon dressing in the cupboard, so they went in the salad along with a couple of hard boiled eggs. Otherwise there were mixed salad leaves and lettuce with spring onions, cucumber, radishes and cherry tomatoes (all fresh delivered this morning). Followed it all up with some of Tesco's slightly imperfect strawberries and semolina.

The salad sounds delightful. You are big on semolina I have noticed...

We found a new Mexican restaurant. It was fabulous, we had chili rellenos with ground beef, well seasoned refried beans and a unique Spanish rice. (It had a slightly smoky flavor.)

The salad sounds delightful. You are big on semolina I have noticed...
I love semolina - it was about the only thing I liked about school dinners, although our dinner ladies obviously had it sussed - and when I bought some semolina from Tesco's they were doing the enormous bags of it on special offer :D. When I popped into Tesco's today, they were doing a lot of food at half price or less - do you think someone overstocked? When I got that Stilton (which I flaming forgot to get more of today :mad:) they were doing it at 1/4 of the normal price, although the use by date was only a week off. Presumably, if I'd have waited a few days, it would have been even cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom