What did you cook/eat today (May 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the ice cream? Cool!

Disclaimer: I try to practice a diet plan of "everything in moderation". Not always successful, but I try.

Ice cream is not really that bad unless its made with full cream. Having full fat cream poured over fruit has far more calories and high fat than the average ice cream.

Easy - a Y shaped peeler makes stripes. :D

Thanks - but I can see how good your dinner is!

I am bonkers. I insist on taking snaps in good daylight. I made the dish this morning and photographed it in the pan early afternoon in diffused daylight. I rig up a board on which to place the pan in my south facing bay window. The image is on a camera phone. The food is re-heated later.

I keep repeating this - take your food into the daylight (not direct sun). I take food into the garden just to snap it sometimes. I spend a bit of time 'styling' the pan or the plate. I hate winter as there are so few daylight hours in which to photograph. Anyone can take good food pictures as long as the camera phone is not rock bottom level.
If I took my food out to the daylight, you would get a great picture of Splotch and Grayscale having my dinner.

Oh today was Chinese for lunch and pizza for dinner.
Also did a bit of used shopping.

If I took my food out to the daylight, you would get a great picture of Splotch and Grayscale having my dinner.
right now, that would be the least of my issues. Keeping the food on the plate would be the problem. It is blowing a gale out there despite being blue skies and sunshine (now). We had a storm front come through with a thunderstorm at 4am this morning and torrential rain*. I have had to double peg the washing and I'm not sure that that is going ot keep it on the line for long - who needs to double peg socks to keep them on a washing line? <shakes head> mind you with the sand and dust being blown through as well, I'm not so certain the washing will actually remain clean on the washing line as it is but it wasn't blwoing a gale when I put the washing machine on and once it has started, well we don't have a tumble drier (at least not the type I'm thinking of, the natural world outside is trying its hardest today to replicate one)

*which reminds me that once the gales have died down, I need to drag the ladders from the barn and go up onto the roof with the silicon sealant and do a repair - the roof is leaking directly over my husband's side of the bed!

right now, that would be the least of my issues. Keeping the food on the plate would be the problem. It is blowing a gale out there despite being blue skies and sunshine (now). We had a storm front come through with a thunderstorm at 4am this morning and torrential rain*. I have had to double peg the washing and I'm not sure that that is going ot keep it on the line for long - who needs to double peg socks to keep them on a washing line? <shakes head> mind you with the sand and dust being blown through as well, I'm not so certain the washing will actually remain clean on the washing line as it is but it wasn't blwoing a gale when I put the washing machine on and once it has started, well we don't have a tumble drier (at least not the type I'm thinking of, the natural world outside is trying its hardest today to replicate one)

*which reminds me that once the gales have died down, I need to drag the ladders from the barn and go up onto the roof with the silicon sealant and do a repair - the roof is leaking directly over my husband's side of the bed!
I understand this post completely.

I understand this post completely.
I had a feeling you might. On the bright side the new chook enclosure has high enough wire netting to catch the underwear that has left the line... and there are no neighbours around to see it!
I made the mistake of taking an alcohol wipe to my arm for a puncture wound from some wire mesh. The blood hardly factored into the equation, it was the dirt that came off my arm that appalled me, especially given I have only been wearing long sleeved T shirts (and 2 of, plus a short sleeved thermal under all of that). I want to know when and how that level of dirt managed to get to my skin! I would have understood my face or forearms.... Oh... just realised that this is not the general chat thread. I'll leave you all with what I am eating right now.

I made a rice dish up a couple of nights ago (something called Maghluba - its a Palestinian upside-down rice dish). It was the first time I had made it so I stuck by the recipe without really appreciating that the recipe said it served 4 people... We have both been eating it for dinner and tea for the last couple of days... today is day 3 of it. I think we might actually finish it all tomorrow....It filled my casserole bowl - my big one, the one that is bigger than my pressure cooker. I actually left roughly 1/3rd of the rice out as well... It is delicious, but I think we may need to modify the quantities a touch.

It contains, starting at the bottom of the pan and working up, potatoes (3 medium ones, sliced and partially cooked), aubergine (2 sliced, salted and drained, fried), then a tomato part consisting of 6 chopped tomatoes, 2 large courgettes, 8-10 smashed cloves of garlic, 2 large onions chopped, turmeric (fresh, grated), a spice mix called Baharat, 2 red peppers, tomato paste, it is then meant to have 500g of a long grain rice on top of everything followed by 1.5L of a decent veg stock.

Now if I had had my thinking cap on at all on Monday when I made this recipe, I might have realised that my husband and I together don't usually eat 125g of rice in a single meal, so the very idea of 125g each on top of all that veg (and I realise I have missed another 6-8 sliced tomatoes out which are meant to go between the veg and the rice)... yeh...

Now, the whole idea of this dish is that the veg you have put at the bottom which is sliced acts as a lining for the meal and you then invert the entire thing and serve it sprinkled with flaked almonds. That bit didn't happen. I actually couldn't lift the casserole pan up to move it to the fridge the following morning when it had finally cooled down. So there is no photo.. it would have been pointless. all you would have see would have been some off-white heading to red rice with all of the rice standing upright (I have no idea why but that is how it was!)... guess what is for tonight's tea, tomorrow's lunch and tomorrow's tea... yeh - no prizes there, but worst case scenario, there is nothing in there that the chooks can't have... but it is so very delicious.

Now Baharat - it contains the following list of spices and if fundamental to the dish black pepper, sweet paprika, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon or cassia and cardamon (I'm assuming green). I have rather a lot of that left over as well!

I had a feeling you might. On the bright side the new chook enclosure has high enough wire netting to catch the underwear that has left the line... and there are no neighbours around to see it!
I made the mistake of taking an alcohol wipe to my arm for a puncture wound from some wire mesh. The blood hardly factored into the equation, it was the dirt that came off my arm that appalled me, especially given I have only been wearing long sleeved T shirts (and 2 of, plus a short sleeved thermal under all of that). I want to know when and how that level of dirt managed to get to my skin! I would have understood my face or forearms.... Oh... just realised that this is not the general chat thread. I'll leave you all with what I am eating right now.

I made a rice dish up a couple of nights ago (something called Maghluba - its a Palestinian upside-down rice dish). It was the first time I had made it so I stuck by the recipe without really appreciating that the recipe said it served 4 people... We have both been eating it for dinner and tea for the last couple of days... today is day 3 of it. I think we might actually finish it all tomorrow....It filled my casserole bowl - my big one, the one that is bigger than my pressure cooker. I actually left roughly 1/3rd of the rice out as well... It is delicious, but I think we may need to modify the quantities a touch.

It contains, starting at the bottom of the pan and working up, potatoes (3 medium ones, sliced and partially cooked), aubergine (2 sliced, salted and drained, fried), then a tomato part consisting of 6 chopped tomatoes, 2 large courgettes, 8-10 smashed cloves of garlic, 2 large onions chopped, turmeric (fresh, grated), a spice mix called Baharat, 2 red peppers, tomato paste, it is then meant to have 500g of a long grain rice on top of everything followed by 1.5L of a decent veg stock.

Now if I had had my thinking cap on at all on Monday when I made this recipe, I might have realised that my husband and I together don't usually eat 125g of rice in a single meal, so the very idea of 125g each on top of all that veg (and I realise I have missed another 6-8 sliced tomatoes out which are meant to go between the veg and the rice)... yeh...

Now, the whole idea of this dish is that the veg you have put at the bottom which is sliced acts as a lining for the meal and you then invert the entire thing and serve it sprinkled with flaked almonds. That bit didn't happen. I actually couldn't lift the casserole pan up to move it to the fridge the following morning when it had finally cooled down. So there is no photo.. it would have been pointless. all you would have see would have been some off-white heading to red rice with all of the rice standing upright (I have no idea why but that is how it was!)... guess what is for tonight's tea, tomorrow's lunch and tomorrow's tea... yeh - no prizes there, but worst case scenario, there is nothing in there that the chooks can't have... but it is so very delicious.

Now Baharat - it contains the following list of spices and if fundamental to the dish black pepper, sweet paprika, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon or cassia and cardamon (I'm assuming green). I have rather a lot of that left over as well!
On rice dishes, I have done the same thing. The good thing is rice freezes fairly well.
And don't even ask me about soups. I could feed everyone here, every time I make a soup.

I will answer your dirt question in general chat.

... I insist on taking snaps in good daylight. I made the dish this morning ...
That requires getting out of bed in the morning. Not gonna happen...:headshake:

...I made a rice dish up a couple of nights ago (something called Maghluba - its a Palestinian upside-down rice dish)....
I just set aside an Indian dish from a magazine that is an upside-down rice. Don't remember the name, it will be a challenge to find the clipping. The way she wrote it up, though, made the rice sound like it crisped up. That is similar to bibimbap, I think? Haven't tried that yet, either, although I do have two flameware bowls for just such a thing.
Re: Baharat. Love it! in small amounts. (Fire! Fire!) I also have a blend called "Berbere" which is similar and yet different.

I tried a new slow-cooker recipe tonight: Thai Peanut Pork. Basically boneless pork chops simmered in a jazzed-up teriyaki sauce, with slices of red pepper added later during the cooking time. It was pretty good! Our veggie side was broccoli stir-fried in a sesame-peanut oil, doused with toasted white sesame seeds when done. The pork dish looks bad in the photo with the broccoli, but you all know what broccoli looks like. Here is a snapshot of the peanut pork:

20170523_215052.jpg

@Yorky , I know this is in no way authentic, but to a Polish girl's taste buds, it was good enough. :wink:

@Yorky , I know this is in no way authentic, but to a Polish girl's taste buds, it was good enough. :wink:

I don't necessarily go for authentic (particularly here in Nakhorn Nowhere where many ingredients are not available). If it suits my taste it's as authentic as it needs to be for me.

Talking of authenticity, I've located an outlet for beef dripping (used to cook authentic Yorkshire puddings and authentic Yorkshire fish and chips many moons ago), however, at Bht 150.00/kg (US$ 4.50) I'll need to give it a little more thought.

Excuses, excuses... :D
I've got a pesky dog but I put the food higher than he can reach. And if you are talking cats - surely they can be batted off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom