What did you cook/eat today (May 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect us Brits are holding back, sorry, but that does not look like a very good example of one of our breakfasts. I'm sure you will find better, ask some locals for recommendations, look for those with locally sourced ingredients. You will notice a difference. Oh and do enjoy Edinburgh, it is a wonderful place.

Agreed, baked beans are not normally so prominent, the sausage looks like a mass produced product. You will find a much better breakfast elsewhere. Toast is a bit pale too, sorry to be negative on this @MypinchofItaly

Agreed, baked beans are not normally so prominent, the sausage looks like a mass produced product. You will find a much better breakfast elsewhere. Toast is a bit pale too, sorry to be negative on this @MypinchofItaly

I imaginated this is not the best breakfast I could find....so, tomorrow morning we'll go in a typical scottish pub to have the real ( I hope) british breakfast. Anyway, I liked also this in the hotel but only because I was so excited to eat finally this breakfast that I never can eat/cook/find in Italy..

I imaginated this is not the best breakfast I could find....so, tomorrow morning we'll go in a typical scottish pub to have the real ( I hope) british breakfast. Anyway, I liked also this in the hotel but only because I was so excited to eat finally this breakfast that I never can eat/cook/find in Italy..
We look forward to your pictures of a very good Scottish breakfast.

Breakfast today at hotel...but they don't have black pudding so tomorrow we'll go in a near scottish pub to try it.
View attachment 7357

If that is supposed to be scrambled egg then I would complain - I hate to say this but it looks like a bad British breakfast. Undercooked tomato too? Sorry - but I know its a case of what you happen to get in your hotel. I hope it is better tomorrrow.

If that is supposed to be scrambled egg then I would complain - I hate to say this but it looks like a bad British breakfast. Undercooked tomato too? Sorry - but I know its a case of what you happen to get in your hotel. I hope it is better tomorrrow.

It always baffles me why hotels think that kept warm scrambled egg is a good solution for mass catering breakfast. If I was to give one tip for making great scrambled egg it would be - serve it and eat it immediately. Kept warm scrambled egg isn't even the same thing.

It always baffles me why hotels think that kept warm scrambled egg is a good solution for mass catering breakfast. If I was to give one tip for making great scrambled egg it would be - serve it and eat it immediately. Kept warm scrambled egg isn't even the same thing.
Because it is easier to make a liter or 3 of scrambled eggs at a time than it is to make 2 or 3.
And there is nothing worse than heat lamp/steam table/warming tray scrambled eggs.

Agreed. But then there is the idea of what is properly cooked in the first instance? I think I would be right in saying it should be a creamy affair, loosely cooked. But I have come across many people (not chefs) who seem to prefer firm dryish curds. I think there could be a thread about this on the Forum - I'll look. If not I will begin one tomorrow and try to photograph my idea of perfect scrambled eggs!

Agreed. But then there is the idea of what is properly cooked in the first instance? I think I would be right in saying it should be a creamy affair, loosely cooked. But I have come across many people (not chefs) who seem to prefer firm dryish curds. I think there could be a thread about this on the Forum - I'll look. If not I will begin one tomorrow and try to photograph my idea of perfect scrambled eggs!
Now a scrambled eggs contest that I could go for.

I don't see your chili, just your cauliflower.
I know you are on the east coast and need to supplement your chili with beans since you don't have that many cows up there. Can I guess kidney beans as those seem popular some places.
Hubby had the chili. I had lost my taste for it by the time it was suppertime, and wanted to use up the cauliflower and cheese anyway. As far as cows? Plenty of them all over around here, but a lot of milk production around here for drinking and cheese. Vermont has been know for cheese making for ages, but most other New England states, along with New York, have many artisan cheese farms. In our own small town (11,000 people), we have one dairy farm that I know of, with an artisan fromagerie right next door. We keep forgetting to go over there to shop, though, until I post about it somewhere. :facepalm:About those beans...I use black, red kidney, pinto...whatever I have on hand, along with a can of Bush's Chili Magic. To me, chili is a quick convenience meal, not a religion. Northeast Ohio's sacrosanct meal is probably stuffed cabbage. Or pierogi.

I find the way to do perfect scrambled eggs is to take them off the stove just before they are done so they finish in their own heat as they are served. If they are in the pan and you think 'they look just perfect' then you are already too late.
I used to do that method and it does work well but now I have found a more creamier way. Instead of cooking the eggs conventionally, i.e. on a medium heat and stirring, I do so on a low heat with lots of stirring. It takes longer but the consistency is much creamier (I don't add anything else like milk, cream) rather than noticeably larger curds. It feels even easier to digest.

I find the way to do perfect scrambled eggs is to take them off the stove just before they are done so they finish in their own heat as they are served. If they are in the pan and you think 'they look just perfect' then you are already too late.

Absolutely. They carry on cooking and can easily be spoiled if left on the heat.

I love baked potatoes but how much more delicious they would look if photographed slit open with butter oozing from them!

Unfortunately the butter melts and most of it ends up inside the potato.

jackets - msauce 2 s.jpg

jackets au naturale s.jpg

Attachments

• jackets au naturale s.jpg
    jackets au naturale s.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 232
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom