What did you cook/eat today (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
medtran49
My kind of a quick meal when G is out of town.
I am not sophisticated. I use canned croissants or canned biscuits. Venison/pork sausage from the freezer. My twist is a runny egg on top of a what every you want to name a sausage cooked in pastry.

Love it.

An update of a 1960's cocktail party food. IDK if you are old enough to remember weenies wrapped in a canned biscuit. Pig in a Blanket.

Commenting on my own dish, the stew was really tasty. I love hominy, but rarely eat it, just because it's not the kind of thing I think of every day (possibly due to it always being on the bottom shelf of the grocery store, so you have to already know you want it, instead of just happening upon it).

Anyway, the hominy gives this a quite strong corn tortilla or tortilla chip flavor that works perfectly with the chili powder, smoked paprika (which I cut by 2/3rds), and bell peppers. Very simple stew, but very satisfying.

Looks good - I am yet to cook hominy. There was a discussion about it on the forum & I ordered some from the internet. Its virtually unknown here. When I get back home I'll be trying out something along the lines of what you made.

medtran49
My kind of a quick meal when G is out of town.
I am not sophisticated. I use canned croissants or canned biscuits. Venison/pork sausage from the freezer. My twist is a runny egg on top of a what every you want to name a sausage cooked in pastry.

Love it.

An update of a 1960's cocktail party food. IDK if you are old enough to remember weenies wrapped in a canned biscuit. Pig in a Blanket.
Old enough to remember and still make them as apps - never had anyone turn them down yet. We used to cut up hot dogs and wrap them and then moved onto mini cocktail sausages. You know.... less work! 😆😆

Beef fillet.

As Lullabelle and I have posted before, we do something similar, but we lay the steak and spuds over wild rocket. Was your mustard sauce hot? I do a strong mustard vinigrette as it dresses the greens as well as saucing the steak.

Every so often, my wife says, "You know what sounds good?...those little tiny hot dog things wrapped up in Pillsbury crescent rolls. Can you make those?"

As Lullabelle and I have posted before, we do something similar, but we lay the steak and spuds over wild rocket. Was your mustard sauce hot? I do a strong mustard vinigrette as it dresses the greens as well as saucing the steak.

View attachment 34545
Steak salad is probably my wife's favorite salad, though tossed in a blue cheese dressing and topped with blue cheese crumbles.

Not sure if that's the same here in Europe. I've heard they have a kind of legendary status in the US, but here they often are soggy and cold-ish. I've had far better fries in other places. They are good when they are fresh & crispy but that's a dime a dozen here.

So while I won't challenge your opinion, my experience differs. I do happen to like the Big Mac though, much better than most other fast food burgers I think.

Here in the US, I have NEVER thought much of McDonalds fries, even back in the day when I actually dropped in there.

Being so scrawny-skinny, these things were either too undercooked, overcooked, or just downright COLD.

If I do have fries, DO MAKE THEM steak fries (thick things), rather than those pieces of garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom