What did you cook/eat today (October 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a vat of macaroni and cheese - a couple of quarts in my new Staub pot, and two 9-inch foil pans for our next door neighbor. He cut our grass last weekend - got himself a new ride-a-mower and had fun driving it. My "payback" is dinner for him and his son, who just got out of the military a few months ago. The neighbor's wife isn't at home right now, so I figure the guys could use a good meal. He's on his own for sides, though.

20171001_221952.jpg

I have tried unsweetened soya milk - it was disgusting! And it left a film on my tea! No thank you. I prefer my organic whole milk from the farm with its 4 1/2% cream (that from the milkman is only 4%, and I can tell the difference even when it is given a good shake). I even take a bottle of milk with me to my daughter's as she can only have lactose-free milk, and the rest of her family drink that vile homogenised stuff. I did have some lactose-free cream though, the last time I was there. No problem with that in small quantities, although one of the main sites does recommend that you only have lactose-free if you really need it.

I don't like soya milk either - but I do like unsweetened almond milk.

IMG_0912.JPG

As long as the weather is above freezing, I will try to use my grill. Here's what an ear of corn looks like after 15 minutes. Fun tip: don't try to grill anything else while you do this: the husk tends to catch fire, which doesn't work well for most things. There's nothing quite as tasty as grilled corn. In a related note, I made a corn salsa.

View attachment 10754

As long as the weather is above freezing, I will try to use my grill. Here's what an ear of corn looks like after 15 minutes. Fun tip: don't try to grill anything else while you do this: the husk tends to catch fire, which doesn't work well for most things. There's nothing quite as tasty as grilled corn. In a related note, I made a corn salsa.

That looks lovely!

I had proper food for Monday's dinner :woot: Potato and mushroom gratin topped with cheese and sliced mini yellow and orange peppers, and roast cabbage with a hot cream and mustard sauce. The roast cabbage was supposed to have alcohol with it, but I splashed a bit more oil and a drop of water on it, seeing as I'm still on the dreaded antibiotics.

Potato and mushroom gratin.jpg

Roast cabbage with hot cream and mustard sauce.jpg

I was playing with veggies today, so we just had the leftover Thai Peanut Chicken and rice from a few days ago. I excavated a rather tired-looking Napa cabbage that had migrated to the rear of the refrigerator, cleaned it up a bit by trimming off the outer leaves, and chopped the rest. Sauteed it really quick in some peanut and toasted sesame oil, and splashed on a tad of rice vinegar when it was done. Hubby said it was pretty good...for fried lettuce! :laugh:

20171002_211946.jpg

What sort of bread do you make with it?
I confess to using packet mixes, Tesco's wholemeal, crusty white, or pumpkin seed from the Co Op. Substitute unsweetened almond milk for the water, add a knob of butter and a glug of olive oil and a very good loaf is made. It gives a softer, moister texture, like milk bread, and keeps fresh longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom