What did you cook/eat today (October 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I confess to using packet mixes, Tesco's wholemeal, crusty white, or pumpkin seed from the Co Op. Substitute unsweetened almond milk for the water, add a knob of butter and a glug of olive oil and a very good loaf is made. It gives a softer, moister texture, like milk bread, and keeps fresh longer.
The same reason I substitute about a third of the liquid with whey, and sometimes an egg as well. Makes the bread much lighter.

Too much nice food.

@LadyBelle What do you put in your crumble mix? It looks lovely

@Yorky What is Yorkshire Fried Chicken? Chicken in batter (Yorkshire pudding batter)?

Tonight was using up leftovers from Sunday's roast. Chicken curry and a spicy bubble and squeak. Had the apple and mint pickle with it which was lovely.

My psychedelic skinny lunch (under 200 cals): Salad of devilled eggs, spinach, scorched wilted lettuce, tomatoes and yoghurt turmeric dressing.

20171003_143730.jpg

Last edited:
@Yorky What is Yorkshire Fried Chicken? Chicken in batter (Yorkshire pudding batter)?

It's similar to Kentucky Fried Chicken but uses proper chicken and without any crap in the batter. Virtually Yorkshire pudding batter but no egg.

I had some very spicy potato and lentil patties tonight, with Branston pickle, home made yoghurt, and bread. All eaten while listening to Indian music courtesy of the BBC. I actually adapted a recipe from Rick Stein's India cookery book, substituting potatoes for lamb, and had to change the cooking time dramatically, so dinner was rather later than usual :giggle::rolleyes::facepalm:

Spicy potato and lentil patties.jpg

Yorkshire fried chicken with roast potatoes and Chinese cabbage with béchamel sauce.

My wife only wanted two pieces of chicken so I have six pieces left. I covered the batter so it should be still good today. Looks like the same again this evening then.

Black Forrest cake! yummy! My fave cake!

IMG_7274.JPG

For my OH's birthday yesterday.

It's his favourite too.

I cooked 2 x 35 cm chocolate cakes, brushed with reduced cherry syrup doctored with almond liqueur then stuck together with whipped cream dotted with bottled cherries
Chocolate ganache poured over the top then decorated with more cherries, plus whipped cream & maraschino cherries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom