What did you cook/eat today (September 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

@Yorky

Maybe?

In Australia the fish & chip shops sell beer battered & deep fried sliced potato known as scallops in my state but not everywhere. The potatoes need to be quite large (baseball / grapefruit sized) and the slices should ideally be about 5mm thick. Deep fried until crunchy & golden.

I used to work in a takeaway while I was still in high school - we sold fish & chips etc but my boss was from Greece so our main item was charcoal rotisserie chicken & fresh salads plus yiros. However he made everything from scratch except the chips which came in frozen. He was an amazing cook actually. Had been a short order cook at some point I think.

We used to batter & deep fry hundreds of scallops to a light golden colour, drain, cool, chill. Then they were deep fried a second time to order.

Those in the picture were cooked from a whole potato. Normally when I make Yorkshire fishcakes, I make scallops out of the left over ends of the potato.

yorkshire fishcake.jpg

Yorkshire fishcake.

yorkshire fishcakes march 3 s.jpg

Yorkshire fishcakes, scallops and Yorkshire dhal.

Sweetcorn dhansak with flatbreads for dinner! I've only ever had lamb dhansak from a takeaway before. This one is a Riverford recipe that I've been toying with the idea of making for some time. I had to alter a couple of the ingredients because I did not have the exact items. All the different textures and flavours in it made it a really good meal. Sorry about the slightly blurry photo. It had only just finished cooking, and was steaming hot. I couldn't wait to try it.

Sweetcorn Dhansak.jpg

I wasn't in to doing a lot yesterday so settled for the last remains of the char sui with a re-heated jacket potato.

7 s.jpg

My absolute favorite way to serve pasta is with roasted garlic and olive oil. I think it lets the pasta shine...and I can never get enough roasted garlic in any form.
If you have any Amish in the Detroit area, look for pickled garlic cloves. Our daughter had us pick some up for her when we did a supply run from the Amish bulk food store. Hubby tried them and liked them. I didn't have a chance because I was cooking...and in our family the cook has to fend for herself! :laugh:

If I was mean, I'd spit in their food. :mad: I'm mostly nice, so they're safe.

We have pickled garlic here. In half litre jars. I have no idea what the Thais use them for.

@Yorky, I don't know what I'd use them for, but our dear daughter popped them into her mouth as if they were olives!

I made a pot of polenta to use as a base for a dinner of sauteed Italian sausages, colorful bell peppers, and sweet onions. Mixed fresh shredded Parmesan cheese (as opposed to the authentic, Italian-made Parmigiano Reggiano) into the cooked polenta, spooned it into bowls, and topped with the sausage and peppers - and topped that with more cheese! I'm headed next to the Cooking Challenge, seeing as how I have an abundance of peppers in the meal!

20170905_220016.jpg

@Yorky, I don't know what I'd use them for, but our dear daughter popped them into her mouth as if they were olives!

I made a pot of polenta to use as a base for a dinner of sauteed Italian sausages, colorful bell peppers, and sweet onions. Mixed fresh shredded Parmesan cheese (as opposed to the authentic, Italian-made Parmigiano Reggiano) into the cooked polenta, spooned it into bowls, and topped with the sausage and peppers - and topped that with more cheese! I'm headed next to the Cooking Challenge, seeing as how I have an abundance of peppers in the meal!

View attachment 10198

That looks delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom