What did you cook/eat today (September 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made chicken & sweetcorn soup, however, just as it was ready we had to abandon it in favour of racing off to my inlaws where dinner ended up being a choice of fish or burgers with potato scallops & chips.

I had fish.

............ with potato scallops & chips.

Like these?

scallops s.jpg

It's Labor Day in the States, a traditional time to do some grilling and have the family over. I haven't hosted a family BBQ in a while, so I put an insane amount of work into it. Each of the things I made could be the subject of a separate post:

Homemade onion rings - I found a method to prevent the onion rings from tearing apart in the fryer. First, slice the onions, then freeze them. After rinsing them, you can peel the membrane off in between each layer. The membrane is what causes onion rings to split or to not cook evenly when they're being fried. The batter consisted of flour, cornstarch, paprika, baking powder, beer, and vodka. The picture is what was left...there were better-looking pieces (I think the one at the top split because I couldn't find the membrane on that piece).

IMG_0863.JPG

Fried Cheese Curds - I used the same batter that I used for the onion rings, and dropped them in for about a minute apiece. Absurdly good.

Gluten free tabouli - my brother can't have gluten, so I simply omitted the bulgur wheat. I think I like it better this way, since the bulgar gets in the way of the mint.

Praline ice cream - the praline is so sweet that I made the ice cream base with corn syrup in place of part of the sugar.

Homemade burgers - 2 pounds sirloin, 1.75 pounds chuck steak, 1 pound beef brisket. I cut everything into 1 inch cubes, then put them in the freezer after seasoning with salt and pepper. Then, when the time came to grind it, I found everything was frozen in a gigantic ball of meat!

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

It took about 20 minutes of chiseling to break it down into separate pieces, so I could grind everything. It was worth the effort. Wow, these were great.
IMG_0864.JPG

We also had corn on the cob, sauteed mushrooms, and bacon. I wish I thought to take a picture of it all, but I was cooking while the guests arrived, and most of it got devoured before I thought of it. Well worth all the work, but clearly something I can only do once in a great while!

Last edited:
It's Labor Day in the States, a traditional time to do some grilling and have the family over. I haven't hosted a family BBQ in a while, so I put an insane amount of work into it.

Wow - you really did work hard. I love the tip about onion rings.

Fried Cheese Curds - I used the same batter that I used for the onion rings, and dropped them in for about a minute apiece.

I am not sure what 'cheese curds' are. Paneer?

IMG_0865.JPG
I am not sure what 'cheese curds' are. Paneer?
It probably could be, but "cheese curds" in North America typically means chunks of mild cheddar; a legendary Canadian dish -poutine - consists of curds, french fries, and gravy. It might not sound like a great combination, but it is. As long as the cheese is firm enough, I'm sure it could be used. I thought all of it was gone, but here's some that was left.

That question happens to dovetail into a future project: making paneer. After I do, I think I'll save some and fry it.

We had a meal out at Andina to celebrate our 3rd anniversary. Its a Peruvian restaurant so there are lots of vegan dishes to suit my partner.
We had a main course and dessert. For mains he had corn cake & avocado with salsa Criolla and I had grilled octopus with butterbeans, and a honey sauce. I should have taken some photos. It was very good indeed. Heh!

a legendary Canadian dish -poutine - consists of curds, french fries, and gravy. It might not sound like a great combination, but it is. As long as the cheese is firm enough, I'm sure it could be used. I thought all of it was gone, but here's some that was left.

I've heard about Poutine many times and I'm fascinated! I think @Rocklobster might be our expert in that department. I believe its on the menu in his diner. I'd love to see a recipe from him.... :whistling: :D.

That question happens to dovetail into a future project: making paneer. After I do, I think I'll save some and fry it.
I practically live on paneer - it's lovely. You can do practically anything with it or to it. Ricotta-type cheese is made in a similar way too, but not weighted. I usually save the Cheddar now for grating.....

I had an intriguingly named dish called Gardener's Question Time Pilau for dinner. A fantastic way to use up a glut of green vegetables. Although it tastes quite fragrant after the first couple of mouthfuls, I thought it could do with extra chilli and cumin seeds, but then I didn't have any dill, which may have made a difference. I also used half runner beans and half broad beans because I ran out of broad beans :laugh:

Gardeners Question Time Pilau.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom