What did you cook/eat today (September 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I am not sure what 'cheese curds' are. Paneer?
When milk curdles, clumps form. The liquid is whey, the lumps are curds - I'm sure you know this. Cheese curds are simply the lumps before they are pressed into form to make a block of cheese. I understand if you are near a Wisconsin cheese maker (because Wisconsin in known for its curds), the curds are so fresh they squeak when you bite down on them. I've had the same effect when I've had fresh halloumi.

We had a small cook-out for just four of us. I had run down to a small butcher about 15 miles from where our daughter lives to buy some of their smoked pork chops. Hubby grilled those just enough to warm them up. I had fresh corn cut off the cob and fried cabbage and noodles for our side dishes. We started off with nice garden salads. I forgot to take any photos because...well, family. :love: Enjoying the moment too much to think about food photos! :happy:

This concoction doesn't have a name. It is something of a mixture of east and west African. It is based on lentils, more of an east African staple. What you don't get from a photo is the heat of the west African peppers. Does the trick on a chilly "summer" day, though.

001.JPG

This concoction doesn't have a name. It is something of a mixture of east and west African. It is based on lentils, more of an east African staple. What you don't get from a photo is the heat of the west African peppers. Does the trick on a chilly "summer" day, though.

View attachment 10183
It has peppers in it? So.... recipe challenge?

A very simple (but famous) Italian dish: "spaghetti aglio, olio e peperoncino" - spaghetti with garlic, Evoo oil and chilli peppers"
My absolute favorite way to serve pasta is with roasted garlic and olive oil. I think it lets the pasta shine...and I can never get enough roasted garlic in any form.

My absolute favorite way to serve pasta is with roasted garlic and olive oil. I think it lets the pasta shine...and I can never get enough roasted garlic in any form.

I really love garlic in the pasta..and I tend to don't remove garlic until the end of cooking, only few minutes before serving.

Last edited:
@Duck59, what are west African peppers?

Just chillis. They are not, I understand, native to West Africa, but were introduced by the Portuguese. A great deal of food in the region comes with a hot pepper sauce and this is very similar to those you get in the Caribbean (unsurprisingly, since many people there are of West African descent).

Sure - I make my own cheese (paneer and ricotta) using that method. I wondered if that was what was meant - having now looked up Poutine, I'm not sure that the curds used in that are quite so straightforward. I may be wrong. @Rocklobster?
It doesn't seem anything like paneer or ricotta. It's got rennet in it for a start. The only recipe I found was from Leaf TV, which is a Canadian company, so they should know how to make it.

It doesn't seem anything like paneer or ricotta. It's got rennet in it for a start. The only recipe I found was from Leaf TV, which is a Canadian company, so they should know how to make it.
Maybe we start a new thread on Poutine? Or curd cheese?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom