What did you cook or eat today (April 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fish lunch, prawn cocktail, crab terrine, smoked salmon

20190428_124416(1).jpg

There were ten of us for dinner last night.

I made:

Basic salad: greens, red cabbage, carrots, cukes, grape tomatoes, scallion.
Riced cauliflower simmered, drained, dotted with butter, a little ground pepper added. (I actually planned on putting in some of the newly sourced saffron I purchased for the site challenge, but didn't get the chance). .
Asparagus pan fried with ground pepper and parmesan.
Mashed potatoes (Yukon gold) with sweet potato, seasoned with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and topped with cheese slices to bake and heat just prior to serving.
Slow cooked beef brisket with diced tomato, onion, carrot, celery, turnip, thyme, tarragon, salt and pepper.
Chickpea/garbanzo stew with spinach, eggplant/aubergine, tomato, fried marinated tempeh (in gluten free low sodium soy sauce), low sodium boxed veggie broth, onion, celery, cumin seed, amchoor powder, ginger, ground pepper.
Frozen blueberries coated in melted dark chocolate chips and made into clusters.

Two people spent the night. They brought a breakfast loaf with carmelized interior and almonds/almond paste. I served scrambled eggs (from my personal chickens) made with provolone, mushrooms, a hint of mozzarella, scallion, ground pepper. This is today so far.

The company has all gone now, and I assure you I'll be eating on leftovers from the foods served last night for a couple more days. I tend to cook too much food, three of the expected guests couldn't make it (but I gave the woman whose vegetarian/diabetic husband couldn't make it a "care package" of the chickpea stew to take home to him). I tend to cook too much in case there's a run on any one item - people did seem to take from most dishes although I forgot one person can't eat eggplant. But she (and everyone) had plenty of options. Oh, the asparagus is GONE!

Last edited:
Riced cauliflower simmered, drained, dotted with butter, a little ground pepper added. (I actually planned on putting in some of the newly sourced saffron I purchased for the site challenge, but didn't get the chance). .

I think saffron riced cauliflower would be very good... its ringing a bell somewhere.

I'd find it daunting providing for so many but I guess if you plan ahead its manageable.

That looks very good - what is in the filling?

Hi. It was made of pork mince, wood ear mushrooms, spring onion, mint, coriander (cilantro), vermicelli, chillies, fish sauce, white pepper and salt.

Turned out really well as I was worried because the tubes were quite large increasing the cooking time that the squid would go tough. But thankfully remained really tender. I made a video of cooking it over on youtube.

Hi. It was made of pork mince, wood ear mushrooms, spring onion, mint, coriander (cilantro), vermicelli, chillies, fish sauce, white pepper and salt.

Turned out really well as I was worried because the tubes were quite large increasing the cooking time that the squid would go tough. But thankfully remained really tender. I made a video of cooking it over on youtube.

I'll check out the video - thanks!

Grilled pizza trio.

Cherry Bomb
Has grilled chicken, cherry preserves and whole cherries. Mozzarella, cheddar and parmigiano for cheeses.
36788-albums1020-picture7991.jpg

Moussaka
Lamb, eggplant and tomato sauce. Pecorino and Mozzarella for cheeses.
36788-albums1020-picture7990.jpg

Venetian
Sweet sopressata, balsamic onion jam, walnuts. Mozzarella and parmigiano for cheeses.
36788-albums1020-picture7989.jpg

I think saffron riced cauliflower would be very good... its ringing a bell somewhere.

I'd find it daunting providing for so many but I guess if you plan ahead its manageable.

Fortunately, I could cook most everything in advance, at least starting the morning of. The potato dish had to be baked but it was assembled. The only things that needed immediate cooking were the asparagus and the riced cauliflower. I had a friend toss the salad since I didn't want the greens crushed before serving. Others brought beverages.

Today's breakfast: leftover beef brisket with tomato, onion, celery, turnip, thyme, tarragon, garlic, salt, pepper (from Saturday). I added a little Chohoula hot sauce.

Dinner will be more of the same. Anything after that in the brisket department will be frozen. Lunch is undecided. Might be chickpea stew.

Last night I polished off the mashed white potato/sweet potato dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom