What did you cook or eat today (April 2020)?

Due to shit weather and boredom we did a load of pickles today. I’m not the biggest fan of pickles but my wife is a native of Lithuania so naturally adores them. Finished with spaghetti & meatballs. I now make them with turkey mince, more tender and half the fat but with no loss of flavor, maybe it’s just me...View attachment 40213
View attachment 40214
I'm all over that piccalilli

Russ

Ok, this is listed in the cookbook as "Beef Cakes," and is meant to be a bit like a meatloaf patty, burger sized, topped with a big dollop of mashed potato.

It's a Civil War-era recipe (Blue & Grey, not Roundheads & Cavaliers :laugh:, and it called for minced rare roast beef. I didn't have that, so I used ground beef. Probably not ideal.

It was too dry to hold together as patties, so I did it more like a shepherd's pie and topped it with the potatoes that way.

It is dry, but the flavor is good (beef, bread crumbs, onion, pickle relish, parsley), so I'd be willing to try it again with the proper ingredients and method.

I'd have thought minced roast beef would be even drier. What else goes in?
I assume, being rare, it'd have a little pent-up juice in there.

Let's see...it was parsley, bread crumbs, grated onion, the meat, an egg, some seasoning, and pickle relish.

Good point.
Thinking about it, I know what happened. Notice, I didn't say, "I know what I did wrong..." :)

The recipe called for using leftover cold, rare roast beef, minced fine. Since I didn't have e that, I thought, "minced roast beef...ground beef...they're in the same family at least, fine bits of beef."

Then, without even thinking much about it, I half-browned the ground beef, to mimic rare roast beef. I shouldn't have done that.

What I should have done was treat it like a meatball or a meatloaf, mix in the ground beef raw, and go from there. That, of course, would have meant a total revamp of the recipe, which is completely against my nature, but live and learn. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not a high number on the excitement scale, but the rare sight of some pasta on the shelves prompted this today. Plenty of garlic in the (vegetarian) sauce.

Tandoori pork chop. From the Hamlyn all colour cookbook. Served over rice with mixed veg.
For the life of me I can't work out what is meant to be Tandoori about this dish.
I've now made this a few times and I think it'll be the last, I doubt I can improve it any more without totally changing the recipe into something else entirely.
Pork chop, yoghurt, paprika, ground ginger, tomato puree, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorn. I also added some dried chili flakes because I found this so bland last time, thinned down the marinade a little and added another dollop of tomato puree into the remaining marinade at the end.

Back
Top Bottom