What did you cook or eat today (April 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last of the stewed sausages from two nights ago:

IMG_4200.jpeg

There were a few dismal cherry tomatoes trying to hide away in the fridge - into the pasta with you!

Salad was same as yesterday, using the remainder of the celery seed dressing.

A fascinating plate of food. The bread (well I'm assuming is bread or maybe a pancake) - what is the flour used?
Injera is made with teff flour.

Injera - Wikipedia
Injera is a sour fermented pancake-like flatbread with a slightly spongy texture, traditionally made of teff flour. In Ethiopia, Eritrea, and some parts of Sudan, injera is the staple. Injera is central to the dining process, like bread or rice elsewhere. Wikipedia
You either love it or hate it

Low country shrimp and grits, has andouille, bacon, yellow and red bells, onions, garlic, worchestershire, shrimp/chicken stock. The shrimp are seasoned with salt, cayenne, and lemon juice first thing and allowed to sit until the end. Grits were new to us. Grocery started carrying a new brand a while back, Ralston. The grits were purple, red and brown rice grits. I'm assuming the purple was actually black since the liquid turned the same color as when I cook black rice. They were okay, but I'd rather have hominy grits.

20230425_180941.jpg

I'm at a candlewood suites hotel tonight and it has a mini kitchen, so I spent my per diem at Kroger.

I bought slider buns, filet mignon, butter, soy sauce, Chipotle seasoning,, and white cheddar cheese in addition to a half dozen eggs and a few other things. I made steak sliders. I was so hungry I didn't take photos until the last one. The others were prettier, lol. I'll have sreak n eggs for breakfast.
20230425_200956.jpg

20230425_223701.jpg

20230425_223716.jpg

Last edited:
Well I managed to cook, but I won't do it again until next week. I'm sore and very tired which was to be expected.

But tea was very tasty.

It's a Persian celery stew (Khoresh Karafs). There are 2 versions, the green one (sabz) is much more widely known, but I have an excess of home grown tomatoes ripening at the moment, so I went with the red version (germez), so called because of the tomatoes (except mine were purple but I won't tell anyone)

I also did another tachin (baked saffron rice), this time with barberries but without any egg yokes because we didn't have any eggs, to serve with it.

I'll try for better photos on daylight tomorrow when hubby is at work.

The tomatoes are more visible in these two pictures!

A fascinating plate of food. The bread (well I'm assuming is bread or maybe a pancake) - what is the flour used?
Tef is the grain. It’s a pancake cooked on one side only from a fermented batter. You use the pancake as your utensil to eat with. We did get spoons with the soup so we also utilized those. (There is a specific hand washing basin in the restaurant for before & after your meal)

I’ve no real hope of reproducing them at home but im going to give the broth/soup a go.

I found a video in another language for a Bengali soup that looks like it uses similar ingredients. Im pretty sure the grilled meats on the platter were braised/simmered in the broth , a key component actually, and are then grilled to order. I’ll post when I have some success.

Last edited:
We use slices of pork, make up a Cajun spice mix, it gets packed on the pork slices (very thickly), cures for about a week in refrigerator, then is smoked. We usually make 2.5 to 5 pounds at a time so we divide, vacuum seal and freeze. The spice layer comes off while cookkng and flavors the dish.
Exquisit, wow. A long process, but it is surely worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom