What did you cook or eat today (August 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Popcorn!
DDB32F95-2F8D-44E5-AC34-3E024951CCB7.jpeg

Roast chicken and roast veges last night for 5, grandkids loved it. Potatoes kumara pumpkin parsnip and carrots roasted and gravy. With peas. It was 10/10 in an unfamiliar oven.

Cooked chicken tenderloins tonight in wraps, the kids love wraps. Fillings will be be onion lettuce grated carrot and a mild salsa and yoghurt dressing. Oven baked chips. The kids just love chicken.

Russ

What is 'kewpie'?

It's Japanese mayonaise... which as you probably know is richer and sweeter than Western mayo.

Kewpie is a popular brand that comes in a soft plastic sqeeze container, with a notched nozzle that pushes out the mayo in patterned shape (not sure how to describe it, like something you'd decorate a cake with). But bottom line, the Japanese mayo flavour is delicious.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/japanese-mayonnaise/

This is what it looks like... the "kewpie" baby logo is iconic and apparently dolls were made from the empty packet. View attachment 31015

View attachment 31016

Ah! So its a brand. I was imagining all manner of things being added to mayonnaise to make it 'kewpie'. :giggle: But its Japanese mayo - and I didn't know it was different from standard mayo. What are the ingredients that make it richer/sweeter?

Ah! So its a brand. I was imagining all manner of things being added to mayonnaise to make it 'kewpie'. :giggle: But its Japanese mayo - and I didn't know it was different from standard mayo. What are the ingredients that make it richer/sweeter?

So according to that article I linked to above, the main differences are only the egg yolk is used instead of the whole egg. It uses rice vinegar or apple cider instead of distilled vinegar, and gets more umani through the addition of msg. Kewpie mayo has been around since 1924.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom