What did you cook or eat today (August 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crab egg foo young and 1/2 of a strawberry papaya. For the egg foo young - 4-6 eggs scrambled w soy sauce, bean sprouts, sliced mushrooms and scallions, crabmeat to taste. Cooked in a skillet on the stovetop in one big pancake.

Lunch, nothing on the menu was vegan so they made something for us. Chicken pad Thai with the chicken exchanged for tofu. Everything else had fish sauce it dairy in it but they did come up with something. Still at the airport in Canberra.

Sweet and a bit greasy but more than edible.
20190821_115847.jpg

Well not today, playing a bit of catch up.

Reggae Reggae Chicken from a jar of Levi Roots.

Did it with some 'rice n' peas'.

I do prefer to cook from scratch but sometimes cooking out of a jar, tin or packet is more sensible timewise. I tend to collect what I call emergency easy cook jars for when I just don't have time to cook, but then have to have a bit of a cooking splurge as they start going out of date.

DSC_0159.jpg

So what is 90 second keto bread?

I'm doing the low carb thing. I'm down 9 pounds and out of my 36 inch waist shorts!!!

90 second keto bread still gives me the opportunity to enjoy a "bread like" substance with a meal.

[Mod.Edit:] Recipe here: 90 second Keto Bread

Last edited by a moderator:
Trofie Pasta with Sausage and Pepper Sauce.

https://myitalian.recipes/recipe/trofie-pasta-with-sausage-and-pepper-sauce

Main ingredients

Trofie pasta
Sausage meat
Peppers (three different colours)
White wine
Garlic
Black pepper
Parmesan
Parsley

Enjoyed this, I used the 'roast peppers' option. It was nice to use a variety of pasta I'd not used before.
This makes a nice, hearty, filling meal. I added some crushed garlic, herbs and a tiny amount of crushed chili to the sausage meat.

Would definitely do this again, just need to source a supply of trofie pasta locally! However I'm sure that other varieties of pasta would be just as good.

DSC_0161.jpg

I bought a phenomenal smoked whitefish on my way back from Mackinac Island. After a few minutes, I separated the meat from the bones and skin.

IMG_0772.JPG

This is a substantial amount of smoked fish (9 ounces of meat), and I knew I would do more than just one thing with it. Today, I decided to make sushi. Against my better judgement, I decided to use farro instead of more traditional rice. I knew that it wouldn't stick together like a long grain white rice, but I was determined to try.

After cooking it in the Instant Pot with chicken stock, rice vinegar, and fish sauce, I put it on a tray in the freezer to cool:

IMG_0774.JPG

Meanwhile, I got my the other pieces ready: red bell pepper, avocado, carrots, and the fish:

IMG_0773.JPG

With the farro properly cooled, I spread it out on the nori (seaweed wrap) and then loaded it up. I knew I was asking for trouble by putting such a massive amount of filling (that's probably double the fish I should have used). But, this is what you get to do when you make something yourself::chef:

IMG_0775.JPG

The end product wasn't pretty (despite the nice colors): the farro didn't hold together, as I expected. And, the nori started to tear in spots because I packed so much inside. But, wow, is it ever tasty. Every bit of the fish is delicious, so more is always better, right? And, I love the chew that farro provides: this is almost the co-star here, rather than being basically a delivery system for the seafood like rice typically is.

Maybe I can make the farro work by blending it with some white rice? And, I could probably show some restraint when it comes to packing the inside of the sushi roll. But, as good as it tasted, I am certainly going to try this again.

IMG_0777.JPG

I bought a phenomenal smoked whitefish on my way back from Mackinac Island. After a few minutes, I separated the meat from the bones and skin.

View attachment 31083

This is a substantial amount of smoked fish (9 ounces of meat), and I knew I would do more than just one thing with it. Today, I decided to make sushi. Against my better judgement, I decided to use farro instead of more traditional rice. I knew that it wouldn't stick together like a long grain white rice, but I was determined to try.

After cooking it in the Instant Pot with chicken stock, rice vinegar, and fish sauce, I put it on a tray in the freezer to cool:

View attachment 31085

Meanwhile, I got my the other pieces ready: red bell pepper, avocado, carrots, and the fish:

View attachment 31084

With the farro properly cooled, I spread it out on the nori (seaweed wrap) and then loaded it up. I knew I was asking for trouble by putting such a massive amount of filling (that's probably double the fish I should have used). But, this is what you get to do when you make something yourself::chef:

View attachment 31086

The end product wasn't pretty (despite the nice colors): the farro didn't hold together, as I expected. And, the nori started to tear in spots because I packed so much inside. But, wow, is it ever tasty. Every bit of the fish is delicious, so more is always better, right? And, I love the chew that farro provides: this is almost the co-star here, rather than being basically a delivery system for the seafood like rice typically is.

Maybe I can make the farro work by blending it with some white rice? And, I could probably show some restraint when it comes to packing the inside of the sushi roll. But, as good as it tasted, I am certainly going to try this again.

View attachment 31087

I think this post deserves a thread of its own! You are pushing boundaries @The Late Night Gourmet.

Simple lunch - an open sandwich of cold scrambled egg (leftover from yesterday as it got overcooked) with a bit of mayo and lots of pepper, rocket, watercress and tomato on home-made sourdough. Not for me (I'm intolerant of mayo) but for partner.

fullsizeoutput_4ff2.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom