What did you cook or eat today (August 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A puréed corn soup, using the fresh corn and some of the tomatoes I bought the other day:

The frothy cream makes me smile a little. I'm in the habit of always giving the bottle of cream a couple of shakes before I pour it, I've done that for years, I don't really know why.

I set the cream out and told myself, "Don't shake it or it'll be all full of bubbles," then I filled the bowl, added the little garnish, got a little spoon for placing the cream, picked up the bottle...and shook the crap out of it, purely out of habit. 🤦🏻‍♂️:laugh:

Last edited:
Pappas is a chain of restaurants. I've not been to the steakhouse. It started in Houston with Pappasito's (Mexican), then Pappadaux's (Cajun seafood), Pappa Mia's (Italian) and then Pappa's Steakhouse. I have only been to the Mexican and Cajun seafood restaurants, and they are both very good. I've heard that the steakhouse is good, but there are better steakhouses closer to me (including the one in my house).

I have not cooked or eaten wagyu beef. There are ranches in Texas that raise the cattle, and it is not hard to find near me, but it is pricy.

CD
Wow, you know so much.
Well yes, definitely, home cooking is the best there is, one can cook exactly how one wants...
Pricing of wagyu is surreal...not saying about its worth, but just the reality...

Chicken fried steak is right up there with things like pizza...meatloaf...chicken and dumplings, just straightforward food that makes you think all is right with the world in the time it takes to eat.

Never heard of it before but I gather it is steak deep fried - what is the white sauce?

Never heard of it before but I gather it is steak deep fried - what is the white sauce?

Chicken Fried Steak is a Texas staple. It is steak cooked as you would fried chicken in the South. You take a steak, generally a cheaper cut, and pound it thin with a meat mallet. It is dipped in flour, then in buttermilk or egg wash, and back in flour. It is shallow fried and served with white gravy -- just flour, pan drippings/butter/oil, milk, black pepper.

CFS was a creation of the German immigrants to Texas in the 19th century, as it is similar to a german schnitzel.

My lunch was the basic Southern "meat and three," which is a meat, with three sides.

Here is some I made at home, with my favorite sides.

FriedSteak.JPG

CD

Last edited:
Big storm this morning so no internet. First it rained buckets, much needed to stop the fire risk. Then thunder and lightening and an ice storm. Now it is sunny and 30c.
Last nights dinner. Smoked ham and maasdam cheese toasty with salads. The local toms are so good with feta. Pud watermelon.
1628157127875.png
1628157183397.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom