What did you cook or eat today (August 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lunch today

Pre-birthday cupcakes. Bought a batch for my guests this weekend. Too physically challenged to cook for them this weekend.. (my real birthday is august 14 but we decided to celebrate this weekend).

These are lime and strawberry, there will also be mango and a lot more bites and cakes.

I made a smashburger for lunch, with American cheese, lettuce, tomato and mayo. I smashed the burger meat into some finely diced onions in the cast iron pan. Served on a brioche bun.

It was one of those juicy burgers that slowly disintegrates in your hand as you eat it. When you bite it, the meat and stuff tries to squirt out the other side of the bun. Messy, but very tasty.

CD

Yes. A layer of salsa then grated cheese (cheddar). I fry the "top" of the quesadilla first then take it out, put the "bottom" in the pan, then add the filling and put the "top" on. Then there is no need to turn it over and make a mess.

Looks like Mexican pizza, kinda.

Wow, you know so much.
Well yes, definitely, home cooking is the best there is, one can cook exactly how one wants...
Pricing of wagyu is surreal...not saying about its worth, but just the reality...
Well he's old, so...LOL! JK. He's the same age as I am. I tell my nephews, nieces, and stepkids all the time that the reason we know a lot of stuff and a couple of things they don't is because we are old and have been on the planet longer than they have!

But CD also knows a lot about beef because Texas is cattle country, and his state borders Louisiana (Cajun country) and Mexico (obviously Mexican food). I guess Arkansas and Oklahoma don't really have anything spectacular to offer food-wise, LOL! Additionally, Texas is such a big state it takes about 14-16 hours to drive across the state, so there are a lot of food offerings and big cities like Dallas and Houston have some mighty good restaurants.

Some of it is firecracker sauce and some of it is chili sauce.
Phew! As long as it's not ketchup. My mom used to put ketchup on the meatloaf. It was cooked with it on it I think. I dunno, it was 40 years ago or more since I last ate meatloaf but I do remember ketchup and thinking it was a horrible combo.

I like chili sauce somewhat, but don't think I have ever had firecracker sauce before.

I made a feast last night for my MIL's birthday. I bought 3 racks of lamb and took off the excess fat and silver skin, then cut them into individual chops. I marinated them in EVOO, with mashed roasted garlic and muddled fresh rosemary, thyme, and parsley from the garden. I also had a pork tenderloin in a similar marinade with the addition of soy sauce and lemon pepper (because FIL doesn't like lamb--he has actually never tasted it). Hubby cooked both on the grill until medium rare, then we put them back into their marinades, covered them, and let them rest in the oven at 200 for a bit. I made a fresh loaf of honey buttermilk bread from scratch earlier in the day, which I served with Kerry Gold butter. I baked a dish with mashed potatoes, roasted garlic, sour cream, cheddar, and topped it with bacon. I also served a caprese salad with fresh buffalo mozz and basil and tomatoes from the garden.

We toasted dry champagne with dessert (our nephew and niece picked up a light citrus vanilla cake with fresh berries from Whole Foods). Just as we were toasting MIL's birthday and wishing her many more years to come, our phones started blowing up with the news (via text) that hubby's middle daughter delivered her healthy, 8 pound 1 ounce baby boy in Austin, TX. Mother and baby are doing great. What a nice present for MIL to have a new great-grandchild born on her birthday! It's one of the few times I have ever seen my husband cry, both he and MIL were weeping with joy, it was fantastic.

I know I shouldn't indulge in junk food, especially salty junk food snacks, but old habits never did die with me.

I snacked on chips and dip (Ruffles potato chips and French onion dip) while watching the late night movie.

full.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom