What did you cook or eat today (August 2022)?

Doesn’t look like much, but this takes me right back to my grandmom’s kitchen around 1974:

Beans and potatoes “boiled to death,” with a big spoonful of bacon grease stirred in rather forcefully, to break up some of the potatoes.

Corn on the cob, buttered using the bread. I think we ate corn on the cob just to get the warm, melty bread and butter.

Doesn’t look like much, but this takes me right back to my grandmom’s kitchen around 1974:

View attachment 89716

Beans and potatoes “boiled to death,” with a big spoonful of bacon grease stirred in rather forcefully, to break up some of the potatoes.

Corn on the cob, buttered using the bread. I think we ate corn on the cob just to get the warm, melty bread and butter.
My mum beat yours, not only boiled to death but with massive amounts of salt.
And I mean tablespoons!!!
Russ

No pics but Sunday night was chicken drumsticks roasted with onions, lemon slices and olive oil.

The point though, was that I wanted potato bake (scallop potato/cream potato/dauphinois) and so I made a large tray of that as it’s a family favourite.

Green side - onion and bacon fried until they took on good colour then I added sliced chard/silverbeet stems. Waited until those let out their water & got back to frying then added the shredded green bits and some Warrigal greens as well. This was really good with the lemony juices from the chicken.

View attachment 89724
Dinner: Thick cut Ham Steak from the Deli counter, Ma `n Cheese and some steamed Kale with a boatload of Garlic, MMM!

View attachment 89725
I put some aside for my Mom too.
My friend butcher went home here yesterday with
Corn fritters
Beef curry
Roast lamb n veges
Extra veges.
Piece of corned beef.
Hes very grateful. He tells people I'm his foodbank lol.

Russ

Pasta carbonara with aubergine "bacon", round 2.

Hubby just abandoned the aubergine in the top rather than burying it into the pasta. Lol

I sliced the aubergine differently today so I could gauge the thickness better. Taste and cooking were much improved, but it looked much less like "bacon", not that i mind personally.

Curious: by endive (chicory) mash, do you mean cooked endive chopped into mashed potato?
Stamppot - Wikipedia

No this is raw endive in thin strips. I think I've explained this several times on here, it's just traditional Dutch food. Pretty similar to colcannon, just with different veg. Sometimes raw, sometimes cooked.

The raw veg used are mostly limited to different types of endive.

Back
Top Bottom