What did you cook or eat today (August 2022)?

IMG_2042.JPG

Lunch out with the Neighborhood Gal Pals.
Two towns up from us is a lovely Thai Cafe and the owners are so gracious, we love them and hadn't been for a while.
Mrs. Next Door Neighbor made the suggestion that we visit them, great idea.
I had the assorted appetizer plate ... the Chicken was a touch over cooked, but everything is great.
Those are Crab Puffs, which Mrs. NDN informed me is like Crab Rangoon :scratchhead:never heard nor had this before, which is why I ordered this plate.

Is that little bits of cheese in the salami? And I do hope you took off that outer wrapper from the salami ...
Yeah, very mild salami with bits of cheese. That’s why it’s called cracker sausage - all you need is to bring the crackers, it comes with its own cheese!

…and yes, I didn’t eat the plastic. :laugh:

I made hubby his usual breakfast of 3 eggs over toasted buns with melted cheese and this time I used salami for the meat (sometimes I use bacon or Canadian bacon). Then I made a banana cream pie with cream cheese in it so it's sorta like a no-bake cheesecake. Later I am going to toast and grind some pistachios to sprinkle for garnish atop the whipped cream I will put on it just before serving.

My nephew and his new wife (I keep calling her his fiancee, forgetting they ran off to the courthouse and got married in July, even though a big formal wedding is planned for next June) are coming over for dinner and it's to celebrate his birthday that was last month (then they got covid and then a bunch of other things kept us from getting together). I promised him lamb. I was going to make a lamb burger for him (I would rather have gyros, so would his wife and my husband), so he told me to not bother making him something different, let's all eat gyros. I am making it 1/2 ground Wagyu beef and 1/2 ground lamb with marjoram, oregano, etc. I also made a homemade roasted garlic hummus with everything bagel seasoning sprinkled on top, and made crostini out of my herbed sandwich buns I had frozen after the last challenge. They turned out super awesome.

I'll try to remember to take photos later.

Here's the recipes I found that I am using:

No-Bake Banana Cream Cheese Pie - Fifty Shades of Mommy
The Best Hummus
Easy Greek Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
Gyro Meat Recipe: How To Make Gyros
Ok heres my tzatziki:

And my gyro meat:

Yeah I don't have a spit so...
I read another recipe where the author recommended flattening the loaf with a heavy weighted object, so I tried it. Good idea.

Here's my pie:

Last edited:
Lunch at a local country pub that had changed owners & kitchen style from Irish Pub to the currently popular “American style” burgers, schnitzels with various toppings, wings etc we are seeing here a lot now. Some do it better than others of course. This place needs help. They need a chef that’s actually travelled and eaten the things.

The Buffalo wings/chicken wasn’t marinated - very plain, no spice except in the one sauce. The poutine was chips, fried haloumi bits and typical commercial gravy.

Daughter chose nachos for our evening meal.

Beef mince with onions, corn & blackbeans and typical Tex Mex seasoning piled on plain corn chips and loaded with cheese then baked in the oven. We did 2 large trays and put them on the table for everyone to serve and load with toppings.

That is not a guacamole you see. It’s a another thing entirely - I make a coriander, lime, green chilli & garlic sauce that my kids like. This time I threw an avocado & some Mayo in there too as we are having a beautiful avo glut here in Oz right now.

'Spaghetti' carbonara with aubergine 'bacon' with protein pasta and my usual dairy free cheese sauce and caramelised onions.

I'll try hard with the aubergine tomorrow. Hubby didn't hear me ask him to keep an eye on it whilst I was on the phone to my mum for an hour and it burnt. Only the thickest slices survived, but they tasted delicious and looked nothing like bacon, lol. The thinner pieces may curl and look crispy. I'll try again tomorrow....
The sauce was very tasty though and would be a great glaze for tofu slices as well. One to try later in the week.

My favorite local farmer had a variety of tomatoes I had never encountered before, Firecracker. Holy moley, these are terrific! I bought them for cooking, but they are so amazing eaten out of hand that they've all disappeared. For scale, these are larger than grape tomatoes, smaller than "normal" tomatoes, maybe 5 cm long.

'Spaghetti' carbonara with aubergine 'bacon' with protein pasta and my usual dairy free cheese sauce and caramelised onions.

View attachment 89647

I'll try hard with the aubergine tomorrow. Hubby didn't hear me ask him to keep an eye on it whilst I was on the phone to my mum for an hour and it burnt. Only the thickest slices survived, but they tasted delicious and looked nothing like bacon, lol. The thinner pieces may curl and look crispy. I'll try again tomorrow....
The sauce was very tasty though and would be a great glaze for tofu slices as well. One to try later in the week.

Actually they aubergine does look a bit like bacon.

Back
Top Bottom