What did you cook or eat today (December 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had great grand parents. I just copy them. I still remember my great grandparents. :)

Russ
Thats really nice. All of my great-grandparents were long gone when I was born, along with my dad's father. My mom's parents died when I was 6. My dad's mom died in 1991. Family is everything, you are lucky for the memories.

Sorry to go off topic!

Making penne and meat sauce with salad and garlic bread for dinner.

I made a tomato-chard gratin. It was a hoot.

First, it called for 5-1/2 pounds of chard - using all my chard and spinach, I had about 11 ounces, so I cut the recipe in half twice and just estimated everything.

The concept was to line a dish with some bread, then some tomatoes (it specified beefsteak, but I chopped up cherry tomatoes and used those), then the greens (cooked in wine with onion and time), then a layer of cheese, repeating all that once, then topping with bread that was brushed with butter, and finally, pouring in some stock, covering it, and popping it in the oven, finishing it under the broiler/grill the last few minutes.

Besides having to supplement my chard with spinach, and having to use cherry tomatoes instead of beefsteak tomatoes, I also had an amalgamation of breads: slices from a roasted garlic loaf, cubed homemade bread, and some supermarket wheat bread.

I didn't take a photo because it was a real Frankenstein, but it didn't taste badly at all, apart from the texture of the cooked greens. With the stock and the bread, it came out more like a cheesy, tomato-y Thanksgiving stuffing/dressing. All in all, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make it again.

Good news, though...that's the chard and spinach dealt with, all in one go. :laugh:

Last nights dinner, Spicy yogurt shoulder pork featuring @rascals fragrant gift of garam masala with an additional teaspoon of Turmeric for color. Pud was. Pear and frangipane tart with custard
1607229496823.png
1607229559148.png
1607229585542.png
1607229631985.png

I seem to have missed a few days...

Here are the advent chocolates (a little ritual in the morning. ) 2 identical chocolates are wrapped in Christmas paper and put in each of the advent calendar days...

It goes without saying that they are vegan.

Hopefully in the right order... they were all very good. So far we've not had any we didn't like.

And evening meals

Back to eating off the sofa because I still have to keep my leg raised and on ice. Plus I'm not meant to bend it and so on... difficult at the dining room table, though I manage for breakfast. I really want the knee better by Christmas because otherwise hubby's ankle fusion op in mid February will be in jeopardy.

Back to eating off the sofa because I still have to keep my leg raised and on ice. Plus I'm not meant to bend it and so on... difficult at the dining room table, though I manage for breakfast. I really want the knee better by Christmas because otherwise hubby's ankle fusion op in mid February will be in jeopardy.
Hang tough. Nb I would scoff both of your posts even if I was up to my neck in muck and bullets

Hang tough. Nb I would scoff both of your posts even if I was up to my neck in muck and bullets
My current problem is that I could easily eat both in 1 sitting. I'm trying to shift some weight again (hence the knee injury in the first place...) getting fit makes me hungry! Boredom is my biggest problem right now though, have a few changes to CB!

My current problem is that I could easily eat both in 1 sitting. I'm trying to shift some weight again (hence the knee injury in the first place...) getting fit makes me hungry! Boredom is my biggest problem right now though, have a few changes to CB!
This is my comment re the keto diet. I appreciate you are a vegan that eats eggs, what about including dairy to help if you used the diet. I understand meat or fish would be a no no. You probably know that losing 1lbs is an actual impact reduction of 8lbs on your knee. Note my comment about my mobility. My right knee is smashed and I have resisted having whats left removed for 15 + years. Factually I now have 80% lower body mobility.
"As I have said before, my cancer treatment caused me to put on 50+ kgs. The good news after I was cancer free. The bad news was I developed type 2 Diabetes and my mobility was affected horribly.
I cut out carbs. If you can cook the variety of meals we prepared were excellent and filling. I lost 53 kg in nine months. I still cook thing like cauliflower fried rice and Squash spaghetti. The first and according to Oxford Uni toughest covid lock down in the world here, caused me to put on 7 kg. In June I went back on the diet and lost that weight. I don't find it hard and love my food.
Keto cauliflower cheese. Just heat gently heavy cream and add as much cheese as you like, pour over the cooked florets and bake. This is one of my faves Porchetta with cauliflower cheese and cream cheese stuffed peppers. I never felt deprived.
1607247147353.png

what about including dairy to help if you used the diet. I
I'm technically a vegetarian with a potentially fatal allergy to dairy so vegan plus eggs only from my chooks though.

The allergy is to dairy proteins and is that sensitive that I've suffered anaphylactic shock from an antihistamine tablet! Even my medication causes problems. I can't change brands and have to search out brands that don't contain lactose monohydrate or lactose anhydrous as a tablet filler. Lactose being a dairy sugar isn't the problem. The problem is the source of the lactose (usually but not always from the dairy industry) and how well the tablet filler had been cleaned/purified during its production. Genetic drugs are the worst for me because they tend to cut corners to save money. The waste products if the dairy industry are obviously a cheap source if lactose. If however the tablet filler isn't cleaned properly and has a large enough contaminant of dairy protein in it, it can trigger anaphylactic shock in me. And it's not just medication. Dairy and it's components creep into food everywhere. We recently had a tube if fresh dill. Hubby picked it up because he couldn't get fresh dill itself. I did that check being paranoid, when i saw it and found dairy in minced fresh dill! That could have put me in hospital on life support if they'd actually managed to get to me in time to save my life. Living rurally has its down side sometimes, and has left me paranoid about what i eat. I'd rather go hungry...

So dairy isn't an option in afraid and apparently I've been vegetarian way too long for my body to be able to handle meat (whilst we were cycling around the world, there were occasions, mostly in Serbia and Belarus when we had no option, or not ordering meat or fish, it was assumed we had forgotten and it arrived in our food anyway.... those days afterwards were the only days I had energy problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom