What did you cook or eat today (February 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in my old, off the beaten track, Fijian town where I use to live. No tourist places here, just take it or leave it rough and ready eateries. Couldn't wait to get to my fave place only to find it had closed/moved. Was informed the same cook was at the "new" place...and true to form my favourite Fijian dish, Sui, was just as good as at the old place. Sui is Fijian for bone, and beef marrow bones are slow cooked for hours to make it. Then served with a spinach type weed called bele, and cassava on the side. In a strange way, reminds me of Vietnamese Pho, but without the noodles. I love it.

IMG_20230208_135927.jpg
IMG_20230208_135958.jpg
IMG_20230208_140137.jpg
IMG_20230208_140729.jpg

Some of last day's meals:

Tuna with stewed onions and potatoes
329871503_1276523719881037_8073703369140167120_n.jpg

And my first time making chicken biryani. I don't think I ever had a proper biryani so I don't know how much I have deviated from the original one. I was trying to follow this recipe which was not easy because it didn't have quantities :laugh: It tasted alright but the onions didn't fry properly and lacked the crunch, and I didn't have some of the spices mentioned.
330013407_1622143981566447_6184037949350324504_n.jpg

329883811_577365064244573_5302834887273754562_n.jpg

Some of last day's meals:

Tuna with stewed onions and potatoes
View attachment 96017

And my first time making chicken biryani. I don't think I ever had a proper biryani so I don't know how much I have deviated from the original one. I was trying to follow this recipe which was not easy because it didn't have quantities :laugh: It tasted alright but the onions didn't fry properly and lacked the crunch, and I didn't have some of the spices mentioned.
View attachment 96018

View attachment 96019

Can we see it served up? :)

Briyani is one of my favourite foods and I've tried various ways of cooking it over the years. I watched the video you linked and yes that looks like a pretty standard way of doing it. As the cook mentioned, a lot of people these days use a box mix, and while I've gone the route of trying everything from scratch with freshly ground spices, these days I've also succumbed to the convenience of a packet mix which gives terrific results en par with that found in restaurants.

I also make a variant on the rice which is commonly used in a Malay/Indonesian Muslim briyani called Nasi Minyak.

Can we see it served up? :)

Briyani is one of my favourite foods and I've tried various ways of cooking it over the years. I watched the video you linked and yes that looks like a pretty standard way of doing it. As the cook mentioned, a lot of people these days use a box mix, and while I've gone the route of trying everything from scratch with freshly ground spices, these days I've also succumbed to the convenience of a packet mix which gives terrific results en par with that found in restaurants.

I also make a variant on the rice which is commonly used in a Malay/Indonesian Muslim briyani called Nasi Minyak.
I didn't take any pics of it on the plate :(

I was thinking of buying a boxed spice mix but I couldn't find it anywhere in Portugal.

I didn't take any pics of it on the plate :(

I was thinking of buying a boxed spice mix but I couldn't find it anywhere in Portugal.

Well it looks alright from above. :)

I'm sure it was pretty tasty with the chicken masala and all.

I raided the freezer tonight and came out with what I knew was a single portion of an unknown dish. We'd not labelled it.

It's one of those dishes that isn't photogenic no matter what you do to it, but tastes great. It has black beans, kale, tahini and a few other bits in it. I know exactly which book the recipe came out of but a quick scan through the pages tonight yielded nothing, though I did find another cold soup recipe that sounds great! I'll look again tomorrow. I also found a recipe that sounds great, featuring something akin to a cinnamon bun with tahini and orange juice in it! Better late than never. Lol.

So the outcome is, I had a tasty meal from the freezer but can't remember what is called!

Back in my old, off the beaten track, Fijian town where I use to live. No tourist places here, just take it or leave it rough and ready eateries. Couldn't wait to get to my fave place only to find it had closed/moved. Was informed the same cook was at the "new" place...and true to form my favourite Fijian dish, Sui, was just as good as at the old place. Sui is Fijian for bone, and beef marrow bones are slow cooked for hours to make it. Then served with a spinach type weed called bele, and cassava on the side. In a strange way, reminds me of Vietnamese Pho, but without the noodles. I love it.

View attachment 96011View attachment 96012View attachment 96013View attachment 96014

It sounds so intriguing. I'd love to try this. You are on holiday then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom