What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made my family's favorite dish of mine for lunch today. It is a shrimp and pasta dish. I sweat some onions and garlic, add some San Marzano tomatoes (hand crushed) and simmer that. I boil some penne pasta (my sister had to run to the store for that, as my father forgot). Then I add the shrimp to cook in the sauce for about five minutes, and then the pasta and some chopped fresh basil. I grated some ParmReg for the table for everyone to add as much as they wanted. I also added some fresh ground pepper to mine -- my family isn't into any level of pepper heat.

I first created this dish about five years ago, when I was asked to cook something on the spot -- completely unprepared. I went to Kroger, bought some stuff I figured everyone would like, and threw it together. They loved it, and now they ask me to make it just about every time I come to visit.

I should have snapped a picture with my phone, but didn't think about it.

CD

I made my family's favorite dish of mine for lunch today. It is a shrimp and pasta dish. I sweat some onions and garlic, add some San Marzano tomatoes (hand crushed) and simmer that. I boil some penne pasta (my sister had to run to the store for that, as my father forgot). Then I add the shrimp to cook in the sauce for about five minutes, and then the pasta and some chopped fresh basil. I grated some ParmReg for the table for everyone to add as much as they wanted. I also added some fresh ground pepper to mine -- my family isn't into any level of pepper heat.

I first created this dish about five years ago, when I was asked to cook something on the spot -- completely unprepared. I went to Kroger, bought some stuff I figured everyone would like, and threw it together. They loved it, and now they ask me to make it just about every time I come to visit.

I should have snapped a picture with my phone, but didn't think about it.

CD
My best meals are thrown together!!

Russ

Hello!

Yesterday I made my first meatloaf (recipe from Epicurious). It worked really well and was super moist inside while holding together firmly. It was HUGE though after everything was combined and I was thinking 'uh-oh, we're going to be eating that all week...', but it seemed to be a hit as we ended up eating over 2/3rds of it (there are 5 of us).

View attachment 54629

Windigo I also had a go at the Pommes Duchesse, but when I went to pipe realised my nozzle was way too small! I ended up just chopping the bag tip off and 'icing' these squiggles, which look like worm casts (or something!). I made a big mess and there was mashed potato all over the place and all over my hands, and it took ages. They did taste good though.

View attachment 54630
Really they look pretty good for a first try!

Last edited:
Steak Diane....another retro dish that's still delicious in my mind. And so easy.

View: https://youtu.be/6r_KMpxHrh4

I ended up just chopping the bag tip off and 'icing' these squiggles, which look like worm casts (or something!). I made a big mess and there was mashed potato all over the place and all over my hands, and it took ages. They did taste good though.

That made me smile! Piping is not my strong point..

The meatloaf looks great.

Is it like an onion gravy?

No. It has onions in it, which I don't always do, but is not what I would consider onion gravy. It's what is considered a "white" or "cream/milk" gravy, which is a traditional accompaniment to chicken/country fried steak. The gravy is made with pan drippings, flour, S and P, and either milk or, as we prefer, chicken stock and heavy cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom