What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steak Diane....another retro dish that's still delicious in my mind. And so easy.

My mother's favorite. She ALWAYS ordered that whenever we went to a restaurant that offered it. I don't remember the sauce being orangey though, or is that just my tablet?

My mother's favorite. She ALWAYS ordered that whenever we went to a restaurant that offered it. I don't remember the sauce being orangey though, or is that just my tablet?

It could be murphyscreek's photo as it looks sort of salmon coloured on my screen. But then if I look at this on Great British Chef's website it does look a bit salmon coloured - but paler. Its so long since I made it I can't remember! Its basic ingedients: cognac, mushrooms, cream, beef stock - maybe Worcestershire sauce.

Edit: just checked murphyscreek's video and he uses tomato paste in the sauce. That is why!

1610387780925.png

That is akin to a snack (khanom) that is popular here except that the filling is ice cream (and the bun is sweet).

[Edit: "Thai ice-cream sandwiches are on real bread (it looks exactly like a hot dog bun, but it’s sweeter). The bun is filled with several small scoops of coconut ice cream, and then there might be a choice of toppings like crushed peanuts and sweetened condensed milk."

Not my image]
Now I want to try that. I would have never thought of ice cream on a sweet hot dog bun. But anything that starts with ice cream has to be good! ;-)

I think there must be a few versions of it, but to me it was always this colour which as Morning Glory says comes from from mixing tomato paste in to the cream. And for me, Steak Diane never has mushrooms in it, but I see so many recipes where they are included. Even Gordon Ramsay makes his with mushrooms, so who am I to argue?

Spring roll samosas (a little spicier than my past ones) with red oak lettuce.

Looking at those I would call them spring rolls, my samosas are triangle shape, well kind of, wife folds them, maybe I should fold like yours? I could use filo pastry?
Note to self?

Russ

Just made club sammys for the painters. It's morning tea here. I will heat sausage rolls for their lunch. There's 4 here today.

Russ
That's nice of you, and not really the norm around here any more, sadly.

When I was a kid, we lived on a little one-lane rural back road (like a single-track road in the UK), and our driveway was between two little WPA bridges.

There would be workmen there a few times a year, either doing bridge work, or trimming trees, or working on the power lines.

If my mom saw them, she'd always make them lunch. She'd fry up burgers, or heat up cold fried chicken from the night before, or make pork chop sandwiches, whatever she had.

She'd start in, and before too long, it was a feast: little of this, little of that, half a layer cake, big jug of iced tea, jar of pickles, you name it.

She'd do everything up, wrap it in tinfoil and plastic wrap, wax paper, whatever, her regular dishes, glasses, flatware, pile it all in a laundry basket, and make me mule it down to them: "Mom says just a little something for working so hard."

Those fellows learned in a hurry to get assigned to the truck that was going out on my folks' road that day!

I still try to do the same. When we had the landscapers here last, even though they did crap work, I filled a cooler with all kinds of soft drinks and put out a big basket of snacks.

That's nice of you, and not really the norm around here any more, sadly.

When I was a kid, we lived on a little one-lane rural back road (like a single-track road in the UK), and our driveway was between two little WPA bridges.

There would be workmen there a few times a year, either doing bridge work, or trimming trees, or working on the power lines.

If my mom saw them, she'd always make them lunch. She'd fry up burgers, or heat up cold fried chicken from the night before, or make pork chop sandwiches, whatever she had.

She'd start in, and before too long, it was a feast: little of this, little of that, half a layer cake, big jug of iced tea, jar of pickles, you name it.

She'd do everything up, wrap it in tinfoil and plastic wrap, wax paper, whatever, her regular dishes, glasses, flatware, pile it all in a laundry basket, and make me mule it down to them: "Mom says just a little something for working so hard."

Those fellows learned in a hurry to get assigned to the truck that was going out on my folks' road that day!

I still try to do the same. When we had the landscapers here last, even though they did crap work, I filled a cooler with all kinds of soft drinks and put out a big basket of snacks.

Yeah I kinda feel responsible for them, the owner is a friend I have known for 20 years, I didn't even question his price or get a second price. Plus he's an ex Londoner (Camden town) and I trust him. We agreed for him while here to extra work. It's a win win here. They had dressed sausages yesterday. Today was choice of corned beef club or ham club. The plates empty,lol. Fillings were lettuce, Mayo tomato and curry egg .

I will surprise them tomorrow!!

Russ

Bacon-And-Eggs Pizza:

There's the crust, then a layer of seasoned cottage cheese (salt, pepper, dried oregano, cayenne, and olive oil), then a layer of cooked and crumbled bacon, then a layer of cheese (mozzarella, Parmesan, and Romano), and eggs nestled in there.

I've made this three times, this is the first time I've gotten the eggs the way I want them. The key is to take them out when they still look raw. :laugh:

Hello!

Last night I made this mixed paella. Morning Glory I looked at your method from the cookalong and changed the order of things - I put the rice in before the stock and gave it a bit of a fry first (I usually do it the other way around) and it made a noticeable difference for the better in terms of taste, plus it seemed to cook faster.

Our family isn't much for mussels, so I bought some small flower crabs, which I ended up eating most of since the kids found them a bit fiddly (and sharp).

IMG_5646.jpg

Hello!

Last night I made this mixed paella. Morning Glory I looked at your method from the cookalong and changed the order of things - I put the rice in before the stock and gave it a bit of a fry first (I usually do it the other way around) and it made a noticeable difference for the better in terms of taste, plus it seemed to cook faster.

Our family isn't much for mussels, so I bought some small flower crabs, which I ended up eating most of since the kids found them a bit fiddly (and sharp).

View attachment 54687

Well, you definitely got a grip on something I would like to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom