What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom is hilarious that way. If someone is in the house, they get fed.

DirecTV guy came out...got fed. Insurance claim adjuster came out...got fed. When Dad was getting over his heart surgery, he had a nurse come out three times a week to check on him...he got fed. Every time. And I don't mean a bologna sandwich, I mean a pork chop and mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans with ham and biscuits and peach pie and iced tea and coffee. Every time. :laugh:

Here in Texas, it is common to hire day laborers, all Mexican and Central American immigrants, to work for a short time. I have hired some to do work I can no longer do. It is somewhat customary to feed them lunch, on top of paying them. You often pick them up at the parking lot they hang out at looking for work, and have no way to go get lunch on their own. I usually order pizza, as it seems to go over well.

CD

Fried halibut. That 'froth' on the top was supposed to be a dill hollandaise, but I forgot to pour in the lemon juice till all the butter was in, so big fail... and that was my last egg. Oh well.... It tasted alright even if it looks awful lol..

View attachment 54793
Halibut is my fav fish. We can't get it here. I sub it with sword fish or dover sole. I would have no problem scoffing your plate. Bravo.

Last nights dinner. Half a monsta turkey thigh without bone 1.25 kg. Slow roasted in bag, the beast produced tremendous stock for lashings of gravy. Pud neighbors windfall mandarins.
1610602314616.png
1610602332227.png
1610602358533.png

Halibut is my fav fish. We can't get it here. I sub it with sword fish or dover sole. I would have no problem scoffing your plate. Bravo.

Halibut is a favorite around here, but hard to get fresh. Frozen it's pretty reasonably priced though and still tastes good, but the flesh lacks a bit of firmness.

I only learned recently that they can grow to a terrific size - imagine getting a fillet out of this fella (NOT a Photoshop):

08092016_Halibut_COLLINS-450x600.jpg

Halibut is a favorite around here, but hard to get fresh. Frozen it's pretty reasonably priced though and still tastes good, but the flesh lacks a bit of firmness.

I only learned recently that they can grow to a terrific size - imagine getting a fillet out of this fella (NOT a Photoshop):

View attachment 54841
My close friend in the north of England owned one of the biggest fish wholesalers in the region. His company specialized in supplying catering companies. Halibut of that size were regular visitors. End of an era for fish firm

My mom is hilarious that way. If someone is in the house, they get fed.

DirecTV guy came out...got fed. Insurance claim adjuster came out...got fed. When Dad was getting over his heart surgery, he had a nurse come out three times a week to check on him...he got fed. Every time. And I don't mean a bologna sandwich, I mean a pork chop and mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans with ham and biscuits and peach pie and iced tea and coffee. Every time. :laugh:

Moms.
Mine is just like yours too, but my dad is even worse 😅.. He puts things in a shopper bag saying “oh you’ll love this, and this and this. Ah, you have to try this one, you have to, trust me!”
I’m always very amazed

Firstly, what is graypine? Secondly, why are you experimenting with MSG? Just curious as I go out of my way to avoid it!
Excuse me, Google Translator gave me the wrong translation for Graupen, now I know they're called pearl barley.
I've read a lot about MSG and how cool it can be, used right as an Umami source.
Stay healthy

Moms.
Mine is just like yours too, but my dad is even worse 😅.. He puts things in a shopper bag saying “oh you’ll love this, and this and this. Ah, you have to try this one, you have to, trust me!”
I’m always very amazed
Now that was my mom's mom.

I mentioned before that both she and my grandad had extreme sweet tooths (teeth?) - they loved candies, chocolates, cookies, cakes, and sweet pies of all sorts, and my grandad, who did the shopping, would always spoil her with lots of store-bought sweet treats, and she'd also bake cakes and pies. Always, the dining room table was groaning under the weight of all that.

We'd visit Sundays, and when we'd start winding up our visit, my grandmom would grab a paper bag or sack of some sort and load me up - a little of everything. I'd go home with a grocery bag filled with hard candies/boiled sweets, a handful of chocolates (always things like raspberry creme, orange creme, jelly-filled), marshmallow cookies, a quarter of a cake wrapped in wax paper, three bananas (those got thrown out), and all that. It was better than trick-or-treat!

As soon as I got in the back seat of the car for the short ride home, I'd dig in. Of course, this was after being there all day and feasting on the same stuff for the last several hours. :laugh:

Now that was my mom's mom.

I mentioned before that both she and my grandad had extreme sweet tooths (teeth?) - they loved candies, chocolates, cookies, cakes, and sweet pies of all sorts, and my grandad, who did the shopping, would always spoil her with lots of store-bought sweet treats, and she'd also bake cakes and pies. Always, the dining room table was groaning under the weight of all that.

We'd visit Sundays, and when we'd start winding up our visit, my grandmom would grab a paper bag or sack of some sort and load me up - a little of everything. I'd go home with a grocery bag filled with hard candies/boiled sweets, a handful of chocolates (always things like raspberry creme, orange creme, jelly-filled), marshmallow cookies, a quarter of a cake wrapped in wax paper, three bananas (those got thrown out), and all that. It was better than trick-or-treat!

As soon as I got in the back seat of the car for the short ride home, I'd dig in. Of course, this was after being there all day and feasting on the same stuff for the last several hours. :laugh:

Ah sorry, I missed the detail.
haha, I can image you with your face in the candies sacket :laugh:

• Lol or Haha
Reactions: mjd
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom