What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you keep feeding them good food, they may never finish the job.

CD

It's funny you said that, they thanked me for food and cold soft drinks/ fizzy Schweppes sparkling duet. Left them a full bottle at lunch time every day along with cups and bowls of ice from my fridge dispenser. It's been like 25 to 28 deg c last few days. And the heat off the corrugated iron roof makes it hotter. The older guy always seemed to get the shady spots, the younger ones not so much,lol. :)

Russ

Oh, I need to correct myself - the meal I made earlier is made with rigatoni, not paccheri, because I live in Ohio, and when I asked for paccheri, the young woman at the customer service said, "God bless you," and handed me a tissue. :laugh:

Ok, that's completely untrue, but yeah, I can't even get things like gruyere or pancetta in town, so paccheri is completely out of the question.

Oh, I need to correct myself - the meal I made earlier is made with rigatoni, not paccheri, because I live in Ohio, and when I asked for paccheri, the young woman at the customer service said, "God bless you," and handed me a tissue. :laugh:

Ok, that's completely untrue, but yeah, I can't even get things like gruyere or pancetta in town, so paccheri is completely out of the question.

Even we have to go to the Italian market for most out of the ordinary pastas, though the nicer regular groceries do carry some.

Funny story, though kind of gross, I ordered pancetta from the regular grocery deli once and the very young man serving me sliced a piece off then went to hand it to me asking if I wanted to sample it. I just looked at him and said no thank you, that would be like eating uncooked bacon, which you can do, but yuck!

When I got prosciutto this past week at the regular grocery, the older woman took forever to find it, actually had to call somebody to help her because she didn't know what it looked like, and even though I asked for it to be sliced very thinly, it really wasn't. I think I was the first customer that ever ordered it from her.

Even we have to go to the Italian market for most out of the ordinary pastas, though the nicer regular groceries do carry some.

Funny story, though kind of gross, I ordered pancetta from the regular grocery deli once and the very young man serving me sliced a piece off then went to hand it to me asking if I wanted to sample it. I just looked at him and said no thank you, that would be like eating uncooked bacon, which you can do, but yuck!

When I got prosciutto this past week at the regular grocery, the older woman took forever to find it, actually had to call somebody to help her because she didn't know what it looked like, and even though I asked for it to be sliced very thinly, it really wasn't. I think I was the first customer that ever ordered it from her.

I can get Taylor Pork Roll (a Jersey thing) at my local Kroger Deli, and I tell them how much I want, and how thick to slice it, and they try to hand me a slice to sample. I tell them it needs to be cooked (pan fried) before eating.

CD

Last nights dinner was chicken noodle soup with war tip dumplings. The soup was made with a raw chicken back. Pud was the last of my neighbors mandarins.
1610686497647.png
1610686526246.png
1610686553818.png

Made a recipe I found on MypinchofItaly's blog, paccheri w/ sour cream & salami. It was, as I expected, superb.

Here's my mise en place:
View attachment 54894

Please note the extra tomatoes in the back, as I did my usual thing of starting out making half a recipe, then for no reason whatsoever, cut up a full recipe's worth of tomatoes. :laugh:

The finished dish:
View attachment 54895

The components of the sauce are fresh tomatoes, salami, onion, garlic, basil, and sour cream. It's a delicious alternative to a heavier Alfredo sauce, and it's nice to have an alternative to a tomato-centric sauce. Very nice, indeed.

Oh, and I made bread today using Hungry Man's recipe for no-knead bread, so we had a little bread and oil as a starter.

View attachment 54899

Yes, that's a teacup saucer. One does with what one has. :)

Oh I’m so chuffed you liked it! Thank you for your kind words TastyReuben, I have “invented” this recipe long time ago (as you know, so long time ago that I almost forgot it 😅) since I wanted to try something different from the usual tomato sauce. We are not very used to use sour cream in Italy, but oh well, let’s break the rules!
The addition of diced salame it has been just because I had the last piece of it in the fridge,thus its last use was quite clear to me :cook:

I’m going to make it again and my mind is already running towards those yellow cherry tomatoes - what we call over here “pomodorini gialli del Piennolo” - instead of the red ones....

medtran49 TastyReuben I’ll send you some Italian products from here 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom