What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TastyReuben, I've read "Pure, White and Deadly: The Problem of Sugar - John Yudkin". The generation of your grandparents lived after WW II and at this time sugar became more and more cheap, through better machines, what effected their bodys and how they handle sugar. Respect to them,. I'm also a sweet tooth. Stay healthy

Decent pizza with tomato sauce and swiss cheese. The dough was the problem
img_20210114_1415257642119964586434399.jpg

Caramelized orange baiser, crunchy caramel, bavarian cream from yesterday
img_20210114_1534283847118831955893683.jpg

Firstly, what is graypine? Secondly, why are you experimenting with MSG? Just curious as I go out of my way to avoid it!

MSG has been used a lot for a long time in Asia, and has become more and more popular in the US to add the coveted Umami to foods.

CD

Reactions: mjd
I would never have looked in the healthy eats subforum. Every other site I'm on has the breakfast thread in the same subforum as the dinner thread, since they are basically the same thing, just different mealtimes.

It's there because that's where healthy syrup-drenched waffles, and bacon, and fried potatoes and eggs go. :laugh:
Let's just say the thread evolved.
It was never originally what I created it for, but life is about change and that's what happened! It evolved into a new thread about what everyone has for breakfast...

(Originally, though not any more, I was simply looking for some ideas on how to change my breakfast because I was fed up with the same thing constantly...)

I had to get creative with the avocado and coconut soup because we've not been able to get fresh coconut for ages now. So shredded coconut (close to desiccated coconut but somehow not the same) it was. I raided the depths of the freezer and found some coconut milk I'd made last time I had a fresh coconut. Defrosting that and soaking the shredded coconut in it was my only option. I should have planned ahead but tbh, having spent the previous day at the hospital I just hadn't had chance. So the coconut wasn't as soft as I'd have liked and the taste hasn't really come through as much as expected but the rest of the fresh spices have worked well and I'm on supermarket lemons now thay my tree is empty... they are much more bitter than my sweeter lemons which affects the flavour quite a bit (possibly for the better tbh).

Hubby does the poached eggs. Lovely and runny. Almost raw but then they were only laid that day! The 2nd one was spot on and broke clean across the middle... just my luck I'd eaten the first else I would have taken another photo!

I also had some pistachios left over to use up so after soaking them for 24 hrs, changing the water frequently, I used ½ to make a pistachio version of my Recipe - (Vegan) Baked Almond Nut Cheese (Feta Style) - revisited and the other half was used to make 4 servings of my vegan macaroni cheese sauce (that is really yummy).

I have modified the recipe yet again from the version above so I'll write it up next time I get chance, but the pistachio version is excellent if an odd colour!

Today was a good meal consisting of Pastrami and Swiss Cheese Sandwiches on English Muffins with Stone Ground Mustard, Onion, Romaine Lettuce and Tomato with a Salad of Romaine Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber, Swiss Cheese and a quick Olive Oil and Balsamic Vineger Dressing.

PastramiSandwiches20210114.jpg

If I had more Pastrami, I could do it again. Yummy. :chef::hungry:

Made a recipe I found on MypinchofItaly's blog, paccheri w/ sour cream & salami. It was, as I expected, superb.

Here's my mise en place:

Please note the extra tomatoes in the back, as I did my usual thing of starting out making half a recipe, then for no reason whatsoever, cut up a full recipe's worth of tomatoes. :laugh:

The finished dish:

The components of the sauce are fresh tomatoes, salami, onion, garlic, basil, and sour cream. It's a delicious alternative to a heavier Alfredo sauce, and it's nice to have an alternative to a tomato-centric sauce. Very nice, indeed.

Oh, and I made bread today using Hungry Man's recipe for no-knead bread, so we had a little bread and oil as a starter.

Yes, that's a teacup saucer. One does with what one has. :)

Pear, red onion, prosciutto, mascarpone galette, and beef tenderloin carpaccio over arugula lightly dressed with EVOO and balsamic, with a dijon mustard aioli, capers and Parm R.
View attachment 54907

I had to look up 'galette' so I learned something new today. :). That looks delicious and I will add it to my ever-growing backlog of things to try.

We had a galette last Sunday, I discretely disposed of my piece. Almond filling. ( yuk)
Yours looks good, I hope Craig helped?

Russ

Reactions: mjd
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom