What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a little time today so made what i consider a healthy dinner (it came out at just over 500 calories as well)

Pan fried hake, chilli glazed courgette (courgette spaghetti), prawns, pea puree, lemon caviar, red pepper foam, coral tuille and prawn bisque (not pictured).

A pretty good alternative to a friday night kebab!
aviary-image-1609796921244.jpeg

As part of the deal with my butcher friend I had ordered half a small suckling pig for crimbo dinner with four close friends. That was cancelled so I cut it into portions. We are going to roast some of it this afternoon and have it cold with salad tonight.

Wow. I used the ' food ' filter on my phones camera. What a difference! I didn't know it could do this.

I made coronation chicken, put it on rolls and added banana cake for a nice weekend lunch 😍
View attachment 55005

The colours look good but much of this image is soft focus. I don't know if this has somehow been caused by the filter. I don't think I have such a filter or I would test it. What phone are you using?

Pan fried hake, chilli glazed courgette (courgette spaghetti), prawns, pea puree, lemon caviar, red pepper foam, coral tuille and prawn bisque (not pictured).

A stunning plate and just the sort of food I love. What is the coral tuille made from? Also - how are you making the foam? Are you using a espuma gun and is anything such as agar agar added?

The colours look good but much of this image is soft focus. I don't know if this has somehow been caused by the filter. I don't think I have such a filter or I would test it. What phone are you using?

The automatic "food" setting on my Canon only appears to increase the red tint. I never use the setting as it is simple to adjust such settings post processing.

Samsung Galaxy s7 edge. Getting a new one next week. I like the soft focus because it brings out the food I wanted highlighted.

The filter caused it, the pics without filter were clear but with a greyish edge to the food

A stunning plate and just the sort of food I love. What is the coral tuille made from? Also - how are you making the foam? Are you using a espuma gun and is anything such as agar agar added?
The coral tuille is 90ml water, 10g plain flour, food colouring (optional) , paprika and chilli powder. Put a few tbsp of oil in a pan, heat on high, pour in a few tbsp of your thin batter and fry for a minute. Be careful doing this as the oil will splutter a lot. Drain on kitchen towel and be super careful with them! It will be soft when it comes out but will harden on cooling.
You then break into pieces or leave whole and you can drape it over a mug or ramkein while soft to make a basket.

The foam is made with soy lecithin, just use about 0.5 - 1% by weight of whatever liquid you want to make into a foam and use a stick blender to produce foam. Small square containers work best for this. I do have a video (for the modern tiramisu i posted in desserts) that shows the process of the foam and the caviar spherification as well as some other molecular gastronomy techniques if you are interested. Let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom