What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lunch. The bread I made yesterday toasted well. The sesame seeds I added gave it a very nutty note.Tilsit cheese,smoked ham and Twinnings tea.
1610804475320.png
1610804500650.png
1610804519344.png
1610804537415.png

Wow. I used the ' food ' filter on my phones camera. What a difference! I didn't know it could do this.

I made coronation chicken, put it on rolls and added banana cake for a nice weekend lunch 😍
View attachment 55005
The portrait setting on my iPhone produces a somewhat similar result. I like it, but I usually forget to use it. :)

The colours look good but much of this image is soft focus. I don't know if this has somehow been caused by the filter. I don't think I have such a filter or I would test it. What phone are you using?
Morning Glory, try the "More" option in your Samsung camera settings. (Real Time Focus - > Photo -> Video -> More/Additional Features) on the bottom row (swipe to the left to reveal the option). Choose "Food" on the top right and you can choose any focal point and soften the background less or more as the frame is resizable and movable.

Samsung Galaxy s7 edge. Getting a new one next week. I like the soft focus because it brings out the food I wanted highlighted.

The filter caused it, the pics without filter were clear but with a greyish edge to the food

OK - I can see what it does now. I think it could be good for some dishes. And I'll check it out. Hemulen has given instructions on how to find it on my phone. :okay:

Wow. I used the ' food ' filter on my phones camera. What a difference! I didn't know it could do this.

I made coronation chicken, put it on rolls and added banana cake for a nice weekend lunch 😍
View attachment 55005
Your post lead me to searching for an app to use on my phone. I found this list and plan to try them all to see which one works best for me.

Top 5 Apps to Improve Your Food Pics

Thanks for the inspiration. I never would have thought to look for a feature on my phone or a separate app without reading your post. ;-)

The coral tuille is 90ml water, 10g plain flour, food colouring (optional) , paprika and chilli powder. Put a few tbsp of oil in a pan, heat on high, pour in a few tbsp of your thin batter and fry for a minute. Be careful doing this as the oil will splutter a lot. Drain on kitchen towel and be super careful with them! It will be soft when it comes out but will harden on cooling.
You then break into pieces or leave whole and you can drape it over a mug or ramkein while soft to make a basket.

OK - I've made tuilles before. My best effort was a squid ink tuille! I can see how the chilli works with that dish. Just a hint.

The foam is made with soy lecithin, just use about 0.5 - 1% by weight of whatever liquid you want to make into a foam and use a stick blender to produce foam. Small square containers work best for this. I do have a video (for the modern tiramisu i posted in desserts) that shows the process of the foam and the caviar spherification as well as some other molecular gastronomy techniques if you are interested. Let me know!

I have lecithin and this is how I made foams before using a stick blender. Some have worked better than others. Why does a small square container work best?

Please do post the video - you could add it to your Tiramisu thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjd
I followed a recipe for beef bourguignon from the website of my "Dutch dutch oven."

There were some quirky translations over to English, such as saying an alternate method to cooking on the stovetop is to "place it in the smallest pit of your oven." :)

That's very cute, really, and now I wish my oven had a small pit somewhere. :)

Anyway, here's the finished product:

I used a Pinot meunier for the wine. Roasted potatoes (with sage salt) and the rest of yesterday's bread on the side.

I haven't cooked that in a long time. I use a slightly modified version of Julia Childs' recipe, and a cast iron DO in the oven -- no pit.

CD

I think the Dutch person meant the smallest gas ring on the hob, as we call them ' gas pit' . And that's where you often put a Dutch oven to slow cook
...and that's exactly why I love different cultures, because I would have never known that.

Please know, too, that I wasn't making fun, I find the whole thing very charming. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom