What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making Pizza dough is not something you can freestyle. It is more science than art. You might want to start with a proven recipe, such as one of TR's. Once you have a few pizzas under your belt, then you can do some experimenting. You can do what you want, but I'm just sayin' what I would do -- and I've mentioned many times how I feel about recipes.

CD
I totally agree. Most baking is science.

I totally agree. Most baking is science.

Which is probably why I am useless at it!

Which is probably why I am useless at it!

View attachment 55573
I think many of us love cooking freestyle the best. That's why writing up recipes for challenges is so onerous, and it really slows thing down when preparing meals. I hate following recipes, but when baking (especially with yeast) I have resigned myself that it's for the best. Yeast is a little expensive to be wasting in failed experiments.

I think many of us love cooking freestyle the best. That's why writing up recipes for challenges is so onerous, and it really slows thing down when preparing meals. I hate following recipes, but when baking (especially with yeast) I have resigned myself that it's for the best. Yeast is a little expensive to be wasting in failed experiments.

For everybody's peace of mind, I am fully appreciative of TastyReuben's Bread making talents and Pizza is after all, a Flat Bread. I will without doubt be looking in on various dough recipes, include TRs as I research beforehand, how I should proceed.

Prior to doing my Robagusti Bread, TR and MG were inspirational to achieving it with their posts in a thread prior to my doing it. If I remember, BB gave some advice then too. I am fully appreciative of recent helpful posts on Sour Dough as well. As I go forward, I may start some Q&A threads on Dough making to update my knowledge.

Thanks all.

It's not about you lacking in creativity, we've seen your creative abilities in the cooking challenges, some wowza stuff.. it's tricky to get some breads and doughs made with yeast to turn out condistently great without following a formula.

Gosh, I hate formulas. I prefer to think of guides, rather than restrictive recipe formulas.

Wild Yeast is free. It's in the air.

Wild Yeast is free. It's in the air.
Along with all kinds of other nasty things floating in the air, which I'd prefer to have only a minimal amount of in my food if possible. I know someone who suggested to me that I bake a sourdough by capturing yeast from the air (she starts hers in the laundry room, yuck). I'm not a fan of sourdough, really, so I'll pass. And even if I didn't find it icky, it takes a couple of days, and I've posted fairly often about what a lazy baker I am. :laugh:

I do not find store bought yeast to be that expensive. The only thing about it is that it has a shelf life and should be purchased just prior to using it.

I do not find store bought yeast to be that expensive. The only thing about it is that it has a shelf life and should be purchased just prior to using it.
I keep mine in the frig. I'd rather not waste food if at all possible.

It's not about you lacking in creativity, we've seen your creative abilities in the cooking challenges, some wowza stuff.. it's tricky to get some breads and doughs made with yeast to turn out condistently great without following a formula.

BTW: Thanks for the compliment.

I found yeastless pizza dough recipes that were pretty good. One used beer and another called for Greek yogurt.

FYI: I started a Pizza Dough thread for these posts as they don't convey what you ate today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom