What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Split peas soup
img_20210124_1514287563418046397451507.jpg

Browning the meatballs in a hot pan is the traditional way, I believe. Then you let them cook through in the sauce. Correct me if I am wrong. I brown mine in one of my ceramic coated cast iron skillets (no tomato products in my bare cast iron), and add my sauce to the pan, and let them simmer for about an hour.

Is that somewhat how it is done in Italy?

CD

There are two ways of making this, one is the way you do it (I do it myself from time to time), i.e. browing them quickly in a little oil and then add them to the tomato sauce, or fry them completely and then add them to the tomato sauce that you have prepared separately. Someone also coat them with flour rather than breadcrumbs.

Reactions: mjd
Inspections? I hope the rent is really cheap, because if I had a landlord who inspects my apartment to see if I have any pans stored in my oven, I'd be looking for a new apartment. I used to manage a rental condo, a condo that my sister bought, moved out of, and couldn't sell for anything close to what she owed on it. If I had gone into the tenant's "home," to "inspect" it, I'd have been dealing with a lawsuit. I needed permission from the tenant, or some rock-solid probable cause to enter the condo.

CD
The rent is fair market value. They don't just check the ovens. They make sure all the faucets work properly, there is no furniture blocking windows (in case windows need to be used as emergency exits), all the outlets work, no frayed carpeting, etc. It's not too bad. It's only once a year and is always announced. Personally, I'd rather deal with an annual inspection than have property managers that just let things go forever.

One thing that miffed me a bit is I wasn't told that my unit housed the cable connection for my floor or that the central circuit breaker was in here. So, I have to deal with maintenance coming in should anybody's cable or electricity goes out. I don't mind it. I just don't like that it wasn't disclosed.

On topic - We have a resident coordinator who helps with things so we get meals around the holidays and various activities throughout the year. They also have a monthly birthday party for all residents with birthdays within the month. That's been put on hold since COVID though.

How do you make your gyozas? I've never tried to make them. I usually order them from our local Chinese restaurant.
I've taken frozen, pre-made gyoza, let them thauw, then I fill them with whatever I have. You can use everything as a filling
They look like whole peas... split peas aren't spherical. Were they dried peas?
Yes, they were dried, I don't know how to call them, excuse me. Stay healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom