What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wanted to know what Vegemite tastes like, ever since the 1980s and the band Men at Work talked about a Vegemite sandwich in a song. I know it has brewer's yeast in it and is a good source of B vitamins, but I don't know anyone who has ever eaten it. So what does it taste like? You obviously like it or you wouldn't eat it.
Terrific song (and a huge hit when it came out), which I'm sure you know is this (for those of you who don't know this cultural reference, it has the lyrics captioned :) ):

As others have said, Vegemite and Marmite have very similar tastes, which I'd describe as salty and yeasty as well as what others wrote (umami/savoury).

Yum. One of the best beanjars I've done.

Once again, I had to do a little online research to find out what a "beanjar" is. It sounds a little like an American classic winter dish, ham and bean soup.

BHSoup.jpg

CD

I had an 8 oz ribeye steak, sous vide and seared. On the side I had a modestly sized baked (jacket) potato with butter and sour cream -- and lots of freshly ground black pepper, of course.

No pictures. You guys know what a steak and a baked potato look like. :wink:

CD

I do too. We aren't allowed to do that here but I do it anyway because I'm a rebel. No, it's because I live in a small apartment and don't have anywhere else to put them. They always announce inspections so I take them out for that. ;-)

Inspections? I hope the rent is really cheap, because if I had a landlord who inspects my apartment to see if I have any pans stored in my oven, I'd be looking for a new apartment. I used to manage a rental condo, a condo that my sister bought, moved out of, and couldn't sell for anything close to what she owed on it. If I had gone into the tenant's "home," to "inspect" it, I'd have been dealing with a lawsuit. I needed permission from the tenant, or some rock-solid probable cause to enter the condo.

CD

Not a mess for me, same method to make them, then only frying and place on a plate. I honestly prefer the fried ones, but I also appreciate the baked ones sometimes

Browning the meatballs in a hot pan is the traditional way, I believe. Then you let them cook through in the sauce. Correct me if I am wrong. I brown mine in one of my ceramic coated cast iron skillets (no tomato products in my bare cast iron), and add my sauce to the pan, and let them simmer for about an hour.

Is that somewhat how it is done in Italy?

CD

Once again, I had to do a little online research to find out what a "beanjar" is. It sounds a little like an American classic winter dish, ham and bean soup.

View attachment 55665
CD
I make ham and bean soup regularly during the winter (I have made 3 batches this month already). I never put celery in mine. It's potato, carrot, onion, ham, and beans (usually Lima or Northern beans). Celery I use in chicken soup, though. Don't know why, but it just doesn't seem right to be in the ham and bean soup? Dunno.

Browning the meatballs in a hot pan is the traditional way, I believe. Then you let them cook through in the sauce. Correct me if I am wrong. I brown mine in one of my ceramic coated cast iron skillets (no tomato products in my bare cast iron), and add my sauce to the pan, and let them simmer for about an hour.

Is that somewhat how it is done in Italy?

CD
I've never put any tomato products in regular cast iron, either. I use my crockpot or other soup pot for tomato products. It would be easy enough to cook in cast iron in the oven and get the same results, I would imagine. But baking on a oven sheetpan that is lined makes cleanup pretty easy.

Terrific song (and a huge hit when it came out), which I'm sure you know is this (for those of you who don't know this cultural reference, it has the lyrics captioned :) ):

As others have said, Vegemite and Marmite have very similar tastes, which I'd describe as salty and yeasty as well as what others wrote (umami/savoury).
I did note the difference in the lyrics captioned and the actual words are slightly different in at least one aspect (I didn't open and play since I already know the song quite well). The lyrics showed with the caption provided states, "where the beer does flow and men chunder" but it's actually "where the women glow and men plunder".

I make ham and bean soup regularly during the winter (I have made 3 batches this month already). I never put celery in mine. It's potato, carrot, onion, ham, and beans (usually Lima or Northern beans). Celery I use in chicken soup, though. Don't know why, but it just doesn't seem right to be in the ham and bean soup? Dunno.

I use Great Northern or Cannellini beans. I put celery in my ham and bean soup because I like celery. No carrots because I hate carrots. I don't use a recipe -- no surprise, eh?

I have a big ham bone from my parent's Christmas dinner in the freezer. I spent Christmas in bed, somewhat stoned on pain meds, for the most part, but my sister kept the ham bone, with some meat on it, in her deep freezer for me. That will soon become the base of a batch of ham and bean soup.

CD

I use Great Northern or Cannellini beans. I put celery in my ham and bean soup because I like celery. No carrots because I hate carrots. I don't use a recipe -- no surprise, eh?

I have a big ham bone from my parent's Christmas dinner in the freezer. I spent Christmas in bed, somewhat stoned on pain meds, for the most part, but my sister kept the ham bone, with some meat on it, in her deep freezer for me. That will soon become the base of a batch of ham and bean soup.

CD

How's it healing??

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom