What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meatballs I use equal parts of minced beef, pork and veal. Herbs breadcrumbs onion and and an egg. I never pre cook my balls. I tend to slow cook in the sauce the day before. I like my ball on cheesy polenta.

I've always wanted to know what Vegemite tastes like, ever since the 1980s and the band Men at Work talked about a Vegemite sandwich in a song. I know it has brewer's yeast in it and is a good source of B vitamins, but I don't know anyone who has ever eaten it. So what does it taste like? You obviously like it or you wouldn't eat it.

I like both Vegemite and Marmite. Vegemite is much milder and less salty than Marmite. I little Marmite goes a long way. With Vegemite you can be more generous, I find. Both have multiple uses as rascal indicates. For example, adding a teaspoon to stews boost flavour. In fact I've got a whole book of Marmite recipes which would work just as well with Vegemite.

I love it, you either are a marmite or a Vegemite person. I'm Vegemite, yet daughters marmite. As Morning Glory would say it has that umami taste, slightly sour but tasty, I use it in my roast meat gravies, actually it's the first thing that goes in is a heaped teaspoon of Vegemite, stews and casseroles. When grandkids were small I made them mashed veges mouli with a teaspoon of Vegemite so I got them to like Vegemite in a sneaky way.
I have mine on crumpets which have generous butter then Vegemite.

Russ
I like Marmite, never tried Vegemite.

But I generally have it on toast and it has to be a thin scraping of Marmite as I find a big dollop is too much in the taste department.

Once again, I had to do a little online research to find out what a "beanjar" is. It sounds a little like an American classic winter dish, ham and bean soup.

View attachment 55665
CD

Yes, it's a traditional 'peasant' dish where cheap cuts of meat are bulked out by the addition of inexpensive ingredients. Mine has a piece of shin (preferably with some marrow) , a pork hock, half and half of haricot and butter beans, onions, stock, herbs and pepper.

Similar dishes include your example, Boston Baked Beans, Casssoulet, various Spanish dishes.
MypinchofItaly is there an Italian version?

Yes, it's a traditional 'peasant' dish where cheap cuts of meat are bulked out by the addition of inexpensive ingredients. Mine has a piece of shin (preferably with some marrow) , a pork hock, half and half of haricot and butter beans, onions, stock, herbs and pepper.

Similar dishes include your example, Boston Baked Beans, Casssoulet, various Spanish dishes.
MypinchofItaly is there an Italian version?

Yes of course there is an Italian version, more than one depending on the region and ingredients available.
A classic one is a simple bean soup with the addition of pancetta, celery (leaves included)

This is mine using cannellini

I get some oil splatters on my stovetop, but nothing very messy, just a normal thing as if I was cooking everything else - I’ve got much messy while cooking the sauce! 😅
I also cooked them in the sauce - after having fried them- for a good amount of time..

I have to correct myself. I just noticed some oil stains on my sweatshirt :laugh:
I might use this oil for next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom