What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've braised oxtail before with a red wine, stock, mirepoix liquid. I got rid of most of the fat by cooking it the day before, refrigerating and then pulling the congealed fat off the top and finished cooking the liquid down the next day. Did the same with short ribs earlier this week. You have to really like that heavy rich meat taste and mouth feel though to fully enjoy those kinds of dishes. Craig does. Me, not so much anymore, so I don't eat a lot of the meat and have more of the sides when we have that kind of meal. If it was just me, I wouldn't make it, but I do since he likes it and it's not going to kill me to eat it once in a while.

We made Morning Glory 's poussin, orange, sumac, pistachio dish, with a wild rice blend and chicken thighs. It was pretty good, though I'd make a couple of very small tweaks just for our tastes, namely supreming/segmenting the oranges instead of slicing, just to get rid of the pith. I'd probably add the zest in with the buttermilk, pistacho, sumac coating. She didn't say how much Aleppo pepper she used, just to sprinkle, but I thought I used a lot and it didn't come through at all, so I'd add even more, i.e. heavily sprinkle. It was a dish that was easy to make (except for remembering to deal with the chicken the night before :rolleyes:) and had a lot of flavor.

We've braised oxtail before with a red wine, stock, mirepoix liquid. I got rid of most of the fat by cooking it the day before, refrigerating and then pulling the congealed fat off the top and finished cooking the liquid down the next day. Did the same with short ribs earlier this week. You have to really like that heavy rich meat taste and mouth feel though to fully enjoy those kinds of dishes. Craig does. Me, not so much anymore, so I don't eat a lot of the meat and have more of the sides when we have that kind of meal. If it was just me, I wouldn't make it, but I do since he likes it and it's not going to kill me to eat it once in a while.
I was thinking that if someone did what you did, pulling the fat off the top, that the oxtail meat would make a nice addition to a bolognese sauce.

It's shocking, she retches if I'm cooking it. So I try to do it while she's at work.

Russ
Well it pains me to tell you that I made a seafood stock with shrimp and lobster shells earlier and then after straining it, I added veggies, cream, seasonings, and pieces of lobster, shrimp, and crabmeat. The house smells heavenly. I am sorry to rub it in.

That's seriously sad that she doesn't like it. It might be grounds for divorce in my house, because I am cooking and eating it at least once a week.

My husband likes kimchee. I can't stand it. His cousin made some and sent a jar home with him. I was in the bedroom and he opened the jar in the kitchen. Within about a minute I was yelling, "Oh my GOD what is that awful stench?!" And so he doesn't bring it home anymore.

I had a light dinner, since I didn't do anything to burn calories today. I had a Boar's Head ham sandwich with cheese -- and my first taste of Kewpie Japanese Mayo. Everyone raves about it. All I can say is that it was edible, unlike most Japanese foods. The sandwich was good, in spite of the mayo.

CD

Last nights dinner. Paneed veal escalope with baked beans.Pud Mrs B made two sponges (1 in freezer) filled the big one with walnut gnache and poured melted 90% dark chocolate. I woke up from my afternoon nap in the sun and thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
1612069172144.png
1612069190584.png
1612069215182.png
1612069240873.png
1612069275350.png
1612069292063.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom