What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turkish style pan fried calf's liver with onion salad and fried chilies (a.k.a Edirne Tava Ciger

Recipe:
View: https://youtu.be/P9kGa-6EOQQ

Last edited:
Was going to do a roast chicken, but it turned out to have gone bad. I wasn't told that due to the filling, it could not be frozen as long as regular chicken. Made me pretty upset, but the company said it's their fault and they'll reimburse me.

So we had takeout Italian food. I had spaghetti aglio, olio e peperonico. It was really good, and we also had bruschetta with tomatoes. My husband had penne a'l arrabiata.

Too tired to cook, thus I’ve only put the last piece of cheese and an egg on a bread slice in the oven. Added a bit of oregano and chilli flakes

View attachment 56314
Sometimes simple tastes the best. A chef once said, "Take the best ingredients you can afford and do as little as possible to them, then you will have beautiful food" I have never forgotten that and I have stuck by that principle. I also believe that is the Italian way? The French usually say " what can I add to this dish?" and in Italy the chef says "what can I take away from this dish?" Italy every time for me.

Edit, I just remembered the chef, it was Gary Rhodes, God bless him.

Last edited:
Was going to do a roast chicken, but it turned out to have gone bad. I wasn't told that due to the filling, it could not be frozen as long as regular chicken. Made me pretty upset, but the company said it's their fault and they'll reimburse me.

So we had takeout Italian food. I had spaghetti aglio, olio e peperonico. It was really good, and we also had bruschetta with tomatoes. My husband had penne a'l arrabiata.

View attachment 56307
Filling? You mean giblets or something else? How long can a frozen chicken be kept frozen safely? I did not know there was a time limit for whether or not frozen meat would spoil, only that it might get freezer burnt and not taste as good.

Reactions: mjd
Sometimes simple tastes the best. A chef once said, "Take the best ingredients you can afford and do as little as possible to them, then you will have beautiful food" I have never forgotten that and I have stuck by that principle. I also believe that is the Italian way? The French usually say " what can I add to this dish?" and in Italy the chef says "what can I take away from this dish?" Italy every time for me.

Edit, I just remembered the chef, it was Gary Rhodes, God bless him.

It’s a wise principle, and you are right, Italian cuisine is simple and made with few ingredients, possibly the best we can find and then create. You can have a perfect dish only with pasta and herbs or oil. We also have more elaborated recipes of course, but basically we say “keep it simple”
I like French cuisine as well, we have some french-inspired dishes in Milan - and regions at the border with France - and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom