What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oxtail braised in red wine, beef stock and veggies. Mashed potatoes and sprouts sautéed in butter. I gave it a good 5 hours but I don’t think I will do it again. The spuds and sprouts were the highlight of the meal but the meat, although tasty was just too fatty and too bony for me, I know it’s not actual bone but you know what I mean. Another cut of meat that is in “fashion” for tv chefs methinks!!

Oxtail braised in red wine, beef stock and veggies. Mashed potatoes and sprouts sautéed in butter. I gave it a good 5 hours but I don’t think I will do it again. The spuds and sprouts were the highlight of the meal but the meat, although tasty was just too fatty and too bony for me, I know it’s not actual bone but you know what I mean. Another cut of meat that is in “fashion” for tv chefs methinks!!View attachment 56226
My maternal grandmother made oxtails quite often. I never tried them though. Thanks for your candor.

Oxtail braised in red wine, beef stock and veggies. Mashed potatoes and sprouts sautéed in butter. I gave it a good 5 hours but I don’t think I will do it again. The spuds and sprouts were the highlight of the meal but the meat, although tasty was just too fatty and too bony for me, I know it’s not actual bone but you know what I mean. Another cut of meat that is in “fashion” for tv chefs methinks!!View attachment 56226
I have a friend who owns a restaurant who eats oxtail soup on a regular basis (it's not on his menu but he makes it for himself and his family). I would try it in soup, but thank you for the warning about your preparation method. Maybe try it in another recipe?

I have a friend who owns a restaurant who eats oxtail soup on a regular basis (it's not on his menu but he makes it for himself and his family). I would try it in soup, but thank you for the warning about your preparation method. Maybe try it in another recipe?
I definitely would try it in soup by taking it all off the bone but as a stand alone meat ingredient? Nope, won't be doing it again.

Reactions: mjd
I definitely would try it in soup by taking it all off the bone but as a stand alone meat ingredient? Nope, won't be doing it again.
Yes, that's how my friend does it. Cooks and removes the bone, then adds other ingredients.

Prawn cutlets -- another new term to me. The cutlet part.

They look a little freezer burned. Try to buy them with the shells on. It's more work, but the shells protect the meat from freezer burn.

CD

Yeah I noticed looked a bit freezer burnt, I got these from a new place that's just opened, on a main road I use all the time. Tasted just fine. I'll give them benefit of doubt this time. I hate peeling prawns.

Russ

Brunch was poached eggs and bacon on naan with yoghurt, mango chutney, chilli and coriander. I recently bought some chai powdered tea sachets and they’re very good. Went well with the dish. Have made my own chai tea but these sachets are a great quick fix.

Diner was fillet steak, dauphinois and green beans. It’s my husband’s birthday dinner treat.

I like the shells to keep for making stock, too. I do think that shell-on seem to taste better. I also never understood people who buy shrimp and prawns already pre-cooked. Flavorless rubber.

I bought for convenience, wife hates seafood so I cookem real quick, and eat quick as well.
If I was entertaining, I would buy fresh. Whole.

Russ

So a great surprise has happened after years of doing cooking, my wife asked if I wanted some toast and marmalade, something I like a lot, I sat here with my mouth open, am I dreaming? I said what? She repeated it again, hell yes, man it was good, two pieces of toast with marmalade.
I hope I didn't just dream it,lol.

Russ

So a great surprise has happened after years of doing cooking, my wife asked if I wanted some toast and marmalade, something I like a lot, I sat here with my mouth open, am I dreaming? I said what? She repeated it again, hell yes, man it was good, two pieces of toast with marmalade.
I hope I didn't just dream it,lol.

Russ
She's just treating you nice before she does you in. :eek: :laugh:

Oxetail is like beef short ribs or a beef shank. It is very tender meat when you cook it for hours, but there will be a lot of fat. For people who love beef fat, it is heaven. For those of us who don't like all that fat, we have to do a lot of cutting to enjoy the incredibly tender and flavorful meat -- and dispose of the fat. I dispose of the fat in my dog's bowl. He loves it, and it doesn't have any adverse affects on him -- at least at his current age. It's supposed to make his coat shine. Whatever. As long as it doesn't make him barf or crap on my carpet, I'm fine.

CD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom