What did you cook or eat today (January 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I´m with you on that, JAS_OH1.
I just had bubble & squeak - leftover roast potatoes and brussels sprouts from 31st, fried up with some onion and bacon bits. Ready for the day!
You know, I have been doing that for years, frying up potato hash and adding whatever leftovers I want to use up. I know that bubble and squeak is usually Christmas leftovers but can be done anytime of year. I just never knew that it had a name or a tradition behind it for a very long time, LOL. Adding onion and bacon bits is awesome!

rascal, what don't you get about Muricans having potatoes at breakfast? I made crispy potato hash with caramelized onions.
View attachment 78710
Then topped it with a perfectly cooked egg (with lots of pepper). The potatoes had a crisp exterior and buttery, soft center that blended so well with the runny-yolked egg.

The flavor profile was outstanding! You could always try it for lunch :)
View attachment 78711
View attachment 78712

Potatoes for brekky is just not done here, dont k ow why but it isnt. I grew up with weet bix the one and only choice for brekky. Milk and bit of sugars. Day in day out. First time I ever had bacon or even eggs was staying with a high school mate. I was 13 or 14.
Hell his dad cooked every .morning for 5 of them.
I will try it one day soon just to appease caseydog lol.
Our area I grew up in was lower socio housing, none of my neighbors had cooked brekky.
I first had a restaurant meal at about 18 or 19?
Just a country thing I think???
I stayed in b and bs in the uk, from memory no hash browns at those places. We were there about 7 or 8 weeks.

Russ

rascal, what don't you get about Muricans having potatoes at breakfast? I made crispy potato hash with caramelized onions.
View attachment 78710
Then topped it with a perfectly cooked egg (with lots of pepper). The potatoes had a crisp exterior and buttery, soft center that blended so well with the runny-yolked egg.

The flavor profile was outstanding! You could always try it for lunch :)
View attachment 78711
View attachment 78712
Btw I'd hover that meal you made in a heartbeat.

Russ

Its (traditionally) leftovers from Sunday roast in the UK. The key to the perfect bubble 'n squeak is the slightly charred fried greens. That's the umami!
Yeah, it's one of those things where I was going by what I read on the internet...you know how that can be!

Potatoes for brekky is just not done here, dont k ow why but it isnt. I grew up with weet bix the one and only choice for brekky. Milk and bit of sugars. Day in day out. First time I ever had bacon or even eggs was staying with a high school mate. I was 13 or 14.
Hell his dad cooked every .morning for 5 of them.
I will try it one day soon just to appease caseydog lol.
Our area I grew up in was lower socio housing, none of my neighbors had cooked brekky.
I first had a restaurant meal at about 18 or 19?
Just a country thing I think???
I stayed in b and bs in the uk, from memory no hash browns at those places. We were there about 7 or 8 weeks.

Russ
I get that. I was raised on cereal and toast for the most part, except when my dad was home on leave from the Vietnam War. He would always make a big breakfast, sometimes pancakes, always lots of bacon or sausage, and eggs and toast, too. But not potatoes, now that I think about it. That was something I started doing as an adult on my own for some reason. I would go to breakfast places that served it and decided to start doing my own version.

Yeah, it's one of those things where I was going by what I read on the internet...you know how that can be!
Ok,
I get that. I was raised on cereal and toast for the most part, except when my dad was home on leave from the Vietnam War. He would always make a big breakfast, sometimes pancakes, always lots of bacon or sausage, and eggs and toast, too. But not potatoes, now that I think about it. That was something I started doing as an adult on my own for some reason. I would go to breakfast places that served it and decided to start doing my own version.

We didn't get to choose, no toast, or spreads. Just weet bix. Come to think of it I don't remember mum eating with us boys at all? Certainly not brekky.
I stopped brekky when I started work, a cafeteria looked after me then.

Russ

Ok,

We didn't get to choose, no toast, or spreads. Just weet bix. Come to think of it I don't remember mum eating with us boys at all? Certainly not brekky.
I stopped brekky when I started work, a cafeteria looked after me then.

Russ
Well my mom wasn't making me the cereal or toast after about 6 years old, that was something we did ourselves or did without. So yeah, I got to choose whether or not to pour a bowl of cereal and milk or toast some bread. A lot of times the milk wasn't as fresh as I like so I chose toast. I like my toast with just butter on it anyway (we had margarine back then, which I won't touch as a grownup).

I don't like milk as an adult and I don't eat cereal ever, blech. On the rare occasion where I have had milk and cereal in the past 30 years it had to be whole milk and freshly opened, and I would never just drink a glass of milk.

Well my mom wasn't making me the cereal or toast after about 6 years old, that was something we did ourselves or did without. So yeah, I got to choose whether or not to pour a bowl of cereal and milk or toast some bread. A lot of times the milk wasn't as fresh as I like so I chose toast. I like my toast with just butter on it anyway (we had margarine back then, which I won't touch as a grownup).

I don't like milk as an adult and I don't eat cereal ever, blech. On the rare occasion where I have had milk and cereal in the past 30 years it had to be whole milk and freshly opened, and I would never just drink a glass of milk.
Funny how different upbringings we had. Never bothered me, didnt know any better.
Makes me appreciate what I have now, dont want for Anything .

Russ

My one and only experience with a toaster was about 10yo put a knife into the element to see what would happen, 240 volts taught me something lol.

Russ

Funny how different upbringings we had. Never bothered me, didnt know any better.
Makes me appreciate what I have now, dont want for Anything .

Russ

My one and only experience with a toaster was about 10yo put a knife into the element to see what would happen, 240 volts taught me something lol.

Russ
Dang. I knew better than to do that, LOL. My toast got stuck more than once but I knew to unplug it first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom