What did you cook or eat today (January 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night's dessert, fruit strudel from Aldi:

Having salad now:

No pic of the main, because it's pork and sauerkraut, for the third straight day - one of just a few dishes my wife will happily eat more than one day in a row.

Last edited:
Boys want to know how it works, Darwin thingy too :)

Russ
My older brother who is two years older than I am is an engineer. He was a bit mischievous growing up and maybe a little sadistic, too, LOL. He told me to give it a try to get the toast out with a metal fork while it was plugged in, and I was smart enough to know that if he wanted me to do it, it was a bad idea.

My older brother who is two years older than I am is an engineer. He was a bit mischievous growing up and maybe a little sadistic, too, LOL. He told me to give it a try to get the toast out with a metal fork while it was plugged in, and I was smart enough to know that if he wanted me to do it, it was a bad idea.
That's really funny!

Russ

I stayed in b and bs in the uk, from memory no hash browns at those places.
Hash Browns ain´t English, it´s from the USA.
What we often ate at home was my dad´s YMCA potatoes; leftover roasties, fried up in piles of butter.
(Yesterday´s Muck Cooked Again)

Hash Browns ain´t English, it´s from the USA.
What we often ate at home was my dad´s YMCA potatoes; leftover roasties, fried up in piles of butter.
(Yesterday´s Muck Cooked Again)
I don't like hash browns that much, they are okay but not my favorite. I think years ago I tried some from McDonald's but I don't make them at home.

Thanks for the clarification on the YMCA potatoes, I always wondered.

And reading the above, I reckon JAS_OH1 and I are probably from the same family.
I haven´t drunk a glass of milk since High School ( when we had free milk every day at morning break) and I don´t think I´ve eaten cereal since then, either. ´Orrible stuff!:laugh::laugh:

And reading the above, I reckon JAS_OH1 and I are probably from the same family.
I haven´t drunk a glass of milk since High School ( when we had free milk every day at morning break) and I don´t think I´ve eaten cereal since then, either. ´Orrible stuff!:laugh::laugh:
We had free milk at school, I still love it today. We get through a 2 litre every 5 days approx.

Russ

One of the few things you can't cook in the microwave is pastry...

Edit: I suppose there are quite a few things you can't cook in the microwave. You can heat up pastry that is already cooked but its not very pleasant as it goes soft. flyinglentris has a toaster oven - would have thought that would be fine.
Actually, the directions say NOT to use a toaster oven if I remember correctly. Not sure why. Directions also say to use at least a certain volt or watt microwave, and it's not the lower rated ones.

The pastry is so-so if cooked in the microwave. It just seems flakier and just better if cooked in the oven.

Potatoes for brekky is just not done here, dont k ow why but it isnt. I grew up with weet bix the one and only choice for brekky. Milk and bit of sugars. Day in day out. First time I ever had bacon or even eggs was staying with a high school mate. I was 13 or 14.
Hell his dad cooked every .morning for 5 of them.
I will try it one day soon just to appease caseydog lol.
Our area I grew up in was lower socio housing, none of my neighbors had cooked brekky.
I first had a restaurant meal at about 18 or 19?
Just a country thing I think???
I stayed in b and bs in the uk, from memory no hash browns at those places. We were there about 7 or 8 weeks.

Russ

My inlaws lived in NZ for a year when my partner was 10 years old, so mid 1980’s.

Except for the sight seeing & how cool the house was they lived in there, one of the strongest impressions they all have was that food & especially fresh produce was incredibly expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom