What did you cook or eat today (July 2019)?

@SatNavSaysStraightOn - growing up, we didn't have central heat/air. We heated with wood (fireplace, then fireplace insert) and mom insisted on cooking on a wood cook stove.

With the cookstove, you had to keep a little fire in it all the time, or else you were up at 4AM to get a fire going and the stove up to temp to make breakfast. So it burned around the clock, 365 days a year.

Believe you me, that house, in the summer with sometimes triple digit temps (F), was hot!

You know how heat waves coming off something make everything around it look wavy? That's how the cooking area looked. You could look in from the front room, and the whole kitchen/dining area would look weirdly wavy. :heat:

@SatNavSaysStraightOn - growing up, we didn't have central heat/air. We heated with wood (fireplace, then fireplace insert) and mom insisted on cooking on a wood cook stove.
snap (all my life) and that is all I still have, though I do have an electric stove. Summer and cooking are hell. I currently cook at 6 or 7 am in the morning to avoid getting too warm. Salads only and served cold. It is that bad. It often hits 40C here and above so you just have to adjust. The only saving grace of outside is that the humidity is generally low where we are thankfully. but that leads to a very high fire risk. There's a Fire saying, above 30C,above 30mph and below 30% humidity and we are at a very serious fire risk that can't be controlled if there is one. Where we are, there are no options if the house catches fire. That is it, end of story. It burns and you just lose everything. Your only concern will be a safe place for humans and animals (just set free to take care of themselves if you haven't been able to evacuate). I've only had to evacuate 3 times so far. twice the first year and once the second year. the last summer despite being the hottest, because we have moved house was less of a fire risk.

IMG20190726191904.jpg

My butcher had these merguez sausages, so simple dinner tonight of snags on bread with onions as I bunker down for Friday night football (Australian rugby league), as my team plays shortly. Cold beer also on the menu.

Same again as last night... the single cauliflower made enough pizza dough for 2 nights... and it is crispy enough to hand hold the pizza and out won't collapse on you. No soggy base here.

Vegan gluten free cauliflower pizza dough (recommended)
Tomato paste thinned with water
Garlic mushrooms
Balsamic vinegar glazed Roasted red onions
Home-made dairy free (vegan) mozzarella

Topped off with truffle oil and sticky (thick) balsamic vinegar (more of a syrup thickness and very nice).

20190726_213602.jpg
20190726_213426.jpg

My mouth is on fire. So are my face in places and my hands where I have some tiny cuts.. At least I didn't touch my eyes. I made and tasted a sauce for dinner tonight. Working on the other sauce, which is part of the marinade that also include gochuhjang. Now, I'm afraid to taste that part. I may be eating cereal tonight.

My mouth is on fire. So are my face in places and my hands where I have some tiny cuts.. At least I didn't touch my eyes. I made and tasted a sauce for dinner tonight. Working on the other sauce, which is part of the marinade that also include gochuhjang. Now, I'm afraid to taste that part. I may be eating cereal tonight.

I'd love to try it! :pepper::D

One of my favorite low-effort meals: baked potatoes topped with butter, cheese, tinned beans, and chopped onion.

As usual, I snipped some chives and forgot to add them.
2487A536-6E2D-4898-8EA3-0115283BC902.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom