What did you cook or eat today (July 2019)?

The highlight of the meal was the snow crab, the mussel sauce with it was so wonderful I could have bathed in it.

Yes indeed - I'd love to taste that. I'm experimenting with foams at the moment - may attempt a 'mussel foam' with crab! Looking at the menu, I thought the price of the menus very reasonable for a 'fine dining' experience.

Yes indeed - I'd love to taste that. I'm experimenting with foams at the moment - may attempt a 'mussel foam' with crab! Looking at the menu, I thought the price of the menus very reasonable for a 'fine dining' experience.
It was, given that a main course at a bar can cost £35

Strictly what Lu and I ate last night.

To start, steak tartar with dried egg yolk and caviar
View attachment 29187

Then gazpacho with salt cod.
View attachment 29184

The starter was snow crab cannelloni with a blue mussel foam.
View attachment 29182

The fish course, hake with charred lettuce and a fish veloute
View attachment 29186

Carrot and asparagas with a smoked confit egg yolk and a cauliflower cream
View attachment 29181

Baby goat, potato profiteroles, greens and a tomato mayonaise
View attachment 29185

A pallet cleanser of raspberry, rhubarb and elderflower

Then finally flavours of strawberry on chocolate with a strawberry churos.
View attachment 29183

All washed down with a splendid white rioja.

View attachment 29188

You live well.

Russ

:ohmy: (faints...)

I've never paid that much for a bottle of wine. But - well, I suppose you are on holiday.

First time I went to Singapore around 30 years ago I ordered a jug of beer from the pool area at $25. I said to the waiter for that price I'm taking the glass jug home, he laughed. I bought it home. My son has it now. A jug of beer would have been around $2 at home at the time,lol.

Russ

Monday night's dinner was a spicy bean stew after the style of Lokanta but done on the hob and with carrot tops instead of green beans, followed by chocolate cake and custard.

Spicy bean stew.jpg

Tuesday night's was a poached egg and paneer salad, followed by semolina with blueberries, gooseberries, and plums

Cheese and egg salad.jpg

You live well.

Russ
A holiday treat, we don't buy the latest gadgets or have wardobes stuffed with clothes and shoes, nice food and good vacations is how we choose to spend the disposible income we have.

Anyway, back to the food, last night it was Norwegian meatballs with brown gravy and a huge heap of veg. A modest meal but very tasty.

Yorky said:
CP prawn wontons (with chilli flakes and fresh coriander).

We called to stock up on CP prawn wontons yesterday (2 or 3 tubs). They had 12 cases of 10 tubs each but all had been ordered already. Popular dish apparently.

First time I went to Singapore around 30 years ago I ordered a jug of beer from the pool area at $25. I said to the waiter for that price I'm taking the glass jug home, he laughed. I bought it home. My son has it now. A jug of beer would have been around $2 at home at the time,lol.

Russ

It was only about 20 years ago but I remember there was a bar in Changi village where the beer was S$30.00/jug. However until 20:00 hrs they had happy hour at half price. Tiger. We visited there a lot.

Monday night's dinner was a spicy bean stew after the style of Lokanta but done on the hob and with carrot tops instead of green beans, followed by chocolate cake and custard.

View attachment 29194

Tuesday night's was a poached egg and paneer salad, followed by semolina with blueberries, gooseberries, and plums

View attachment 29195

Lovely platefuls of food. Great colours.

Last edited:
Yesterday July 2nd, a hellacious busy day.

Up at 4:30, travel down to Connecticut to do yardwork for putting that old house on the market. Ate two hard boiled eggs on the way (5:30 am), stopped once for a small coffee and a second time for a medium ice tea (the latter to bring to do yardwork with, it was going to be hot out). Arrive at the house at 7:20.

Did yardwork all morning. Lunch at an Asian restaurant at 12:30. Had:

lunch-july-2-1.jpg

Lunch was (the above) Avocado salad, ginger/carrot sauce on the side. Baby octopus seaweed salad. A Japanese roll with cucumber wrap, containing tuna, salmon, yellowtail, avocado, and no rice. Hot green tea.

Left my old home to drive back north at 3 pm. Stopped for ice cream halfway up - a local dairy with their own free range pastured cows - chocolate dark chocolate chip and some real strawberry swirled into vanilla.

Dinner at the community center: pork chop and lots of asparagus.

Last edited:
Oh, this morning, besides their feed, the chickens got scrambled eggs for breakfast. I save the really dirty or cracked eggs, and when I have 4-6 such, I scramble them and give them back. They love it! (Dirty AND cracked get composted.) They also got the tough stem region from my breakfast asparagus.

Back
Top Bottom