What did you cook or eat today (July 2019)?

Rice and peas.
I've also added a tomato and a small chilli pepper

Rice and peas.jpg

Pimento Turkey, Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook.
First time cooking this.
Main ingredients, leftover cooked turkey, onion, pimento peppers, chicken stock, cornflour.

What worked, it was a useful way to use up leftovers, quick to prepare and fairly low in calories
Bad points were that it was a little bland and were I to cook it again I would spice it up somewhat.

Did it with some Ainsley Herriot cous cous.

20190704_181007.jpg
20190704_181007-1.jpg

We called to stock up on CP prawn wontons yesterday (2 or 3 tubs). They had 12 cases of 10 tubs each but all had been ordered already. Popular dish apparently.

We called in today and luckily they had stock. Not only that, it was the last day of the "buy 2 get 1 free" promotion. And, as appears to be the norm currently, both Hainanese chicken shops were closed.

So it's prawn wontons with chilli flakes (it's unusual that we didn't have any fresh coriander).

6 s.jpg

So it's prawn wontons with chilli flakes (it's unusual that we didn't have any fresh coriander).

Many years ago there was a restaurant opposite our house and you could virtually guarantee that they had fresh coriander on ice. One evening I went over and they were closed and only Grandma was around. I asked her for "patchee" (coriander leaf) but as usual my pronunciation was inadequate and she brought me a "Pepsi"!

Aromatic Pilau and Karahi Chicken, both from The Complete Book of Indian Cooking.
First time cooking this.
What worked. A flavourful meal rather than spicy hot food, I got a "You can do this again." one of the highest accolades I get. No interminable marinading or soaking required and relatively little prep.
What didn't work. Not very many bad things to say about this dish. The main issue was that it was not very photogenic, I ran into the same problem mentioned recently in the photography thread, how do you make meat in gloop look nice?

The rice was also very nice and I will be making this again.

DSC_0107-1.jpg
DSC_0106.jpg
DSC_0109.jpg

Back
Top Bottom