What did you cook or eat today (July 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carciofo alla Giudía - Jewish deep-fried artichoke roman-style

Last edited:
I didn't want to cook tonight, but it's also the middle of winter so I don't want a salad, and I don't eat enough veg so dinner tonight is a quick pan of onion, celery, a nearly dead cucumber (seeds removed) & a couple of spoons of tinned tomatoes & a couple of large handfuls of spinach.
Chucked a single serve pot of rice/quinoa in the microwave, put it all on a plate with a tin of tuna on the top and dinner is ready
I think I'll have enough for lunch tomorrow 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
I was very close to ordering a stand-alone deep fryer, when I pulled my electric skillet out to cook onions the other day. I'd forgotten how good it is for frying.

This is supposed to be a copycat recipe of the Popeye's chicken sandwich everyone here have been murdering each other to get. I've never had one, so all I can say is that this is damn good:

First, the chicken gets marinated in buttermilk and the usual spices (paprika, garlic, salt and pepper), and then the flour is seasoned similarly, with the addition of some powdered onion.

When time to fry, some of the marinade goes into the flour to make a barely-lumpy mixture, chicken gets dredged in that and fried. It also includes a spicy mayo, seasoned with those same spices and cayenne and hot sauce as well.

The coating on the chicken is simply flour with marinade added?

I repurposed some leftover cupcake thighs, removing the skin and rinsing off the glaze and spices. Simmered them in some chicken stock, removed, cooled and shredded. Threw in carrots, celery and onion. Simmered until the carrots were almost done, then added some egg noodles. When done I pulled off the heat and returned the chicken. Not bad for a smoke flavored, chicken noodle soup!

I've googled this & got so many different answers.... what are cupcake thighs?

It is chicken thighs smoked in a cupcake/muffin pan. It was made famous in US BBQ circuits by BBQ Pitmaster Myron Mixon.

I've never made them. I've never had an interest in making them. Maybe if I ate one, I would change my mind.

CD

I wish I was there to taste test it, being a Popeye's expert and all. Why didn't you call me?
I shouted as loud as I could, but that probably made it only as far as Texarkana. :hyper:

Those chips/ fries look just like the ones we buy here. I usually do my twice fried chips but daughter was here and she bought a bag of them. We bought another bag last week. So good!!

Russ
I love any kind of fried potatoes, and when I'm at the store, I'll see the frozen potatoes case, and I'll think, "Do I want skinny fries, crinkle cut, steak fries, waffle fries, tater tots, curly fries, or crispy crowns this week?"

Then I say, "Yes!" and grab a bag of each! :laugh:

The coating on the chicken is simply flour with marinade added?
Had to go back and look. The coating is flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, cayenne, and salt and pepper.

The marinade is buttermilk, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. You put in just enough of the marinade to make the flour mixture kind of crumbly, and then really press that into the chicken.

Local Toms and Peppers are cheap as chips, in August they will be cheaper still. So my wife is making relish. Chop the onions and Garlic sweat then add the chopped toms and peppers. Cook gently till all the liquid has boiled off. We eat it cold as a side dish with feta cheese crumbled on top. Its great for my low carb diet, 8 days - 3 kg. The 4th pic is what we will eat it with tonight minus the pots.
109316006_870296523459864_4664903749564348213_n.jpg

109349754_870296590126524_3125666250762259825_n.jpg

108777813_870296546793195_1622886808870703403_n.jpg

69454283_636480236841495_3923225769018392576_n (1).jpg

Scored my first Big Mac in four months today. A bit underwhelming if I'm honest. I think I have been building expectations up in my mind that reality can't deliver on. A bit like the first visit to the pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom