What did you cook or eat today (July 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Greek lunch. Lamb koftas, halloumi fries with a rose harissa dip, Greek salad.

I was very close to ordering a stand-alone deep fryer, when I pulled my electric skillet out to cook onions the other day. I'd forgotten how good it is for frying.

This is supposed to be a copycat recipe of the Popeye's chicken sandwich everyone here have been murdering each other to get. I've never had one, so all I can say is that this is damn good:

First, the chicken gets marinated in buttermilk and the usual spices (paprika, garlic, salt and pepper), and then the flour is seasoned similarly, with the addition of some powdered onion.

When time to fry, some of the marinade goes into the flour to make a barely-lumpy mixture, chicken gets dredged in that and fried. It also includes a spicy mayo, seasoned with those same spices and cayenne and hot sauce as well.

Last edited:
I was very close to ordering a stand-alone deep fryer, when I pulled my electric skillet out to cook onions the other day. I'd forgotten how good it is for frying.

This is supposed to be a copycat recipe of the Popeye's chicken sandwich everyone here have been murdering each other to get. I've never had one, so all I can say is that this is damn good:

First, the chicken gets marinated in buttermilk and the usual spices (paprika, garlic, salt and pepper), and then the flour is seasoned similarly, with the addition of some powdered onion.

When time to fry, some of the marinade goes into the flour to make a barely-lumpy mixture, chicken gets dredged in that and fried. It also includes a spicy mayo, seasoned with those same spices and cayenne and hot sauce as well.

Looks good, I love fried chicken. And those fries!!

Russ

Looks good, I love fried chicken. And those fries!!

Russ
It's the best boneless, skinless chicken breast I've ever had, that's for sure. I did the fries (frozen from a bag) in the oil after I did the chicken, just shallow fried them, and they picked up a lot of seasoning just from what was left behind by the chicken, and the spicy mayo was an excellent dip.

I did the corn on the grill, seasoned it, added butter and a tiny ice cube and wrapped it up in tinfoil and threw it on the grill for about 30 minutes.

If I may borrow the rascal scale again...10/10, top meal! :)

I have not actually had one of the "new" Popeye's fried chicken sandwiches. I love Popeye's chicken, and their chicken po-boy is a favorite.

Yours looks really good. The fried breading looks like theirs. Looks like it has a good crunch. I assume it was moist and tender inside, based on your procedures.

I wish I was there to taste test it, being a Popeye's expert and all. Why didn't you call me?

CD

It's the best boneless, skinless chicken breast I've ever had, that's for sure. I did the fries (frozen from a bag) in the oil after I did the chicken, just shallow fried them, and they picked up a lot of seasoning just from what was left behind by the chicken, and the spicy mayo was an excellent dip.

I did the corn on the grill, seasoned it, added butter and a tiny ice cube and wrapped it up in tinfoil and threw it on the grill for about 30 minutes.

If I may borrow the rascal scale again...10/10, top meal! :)

Those chips/ fries look just like the ones we buy here. I usually do my twice fried chips but daughter was here and she bought a bag of them. We bought another bag last week. So good!!

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom