What did you cook or eat today (July 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, not actually "free." I pay about $3,500 a year in property taxes to the local school district -- and I don't have kids.

CD
But I am sure that back in the 1970s your parents didn't pay that much in property taxes. Not even close. Back when we were kids, public school funding came from a lot of other revenue sources than from levies and property taxes.

We paid school taxes via property tax since we became grownups and out on our own. We also put DD in private school her entire education and paid for it out of pocket.

Your university is the same thing as our college, I thought? Some people pay for private education for grades K-12, but I went to public school (free).

I worked when I was 15 too (here they check your ID) and worked for the rest of my life up until COVID-19.

I grew up in a working class area, I never knew anyone that went to university. Wasn't even an option. I was 5 foot 10 at 14 years old. And looked about 18 . Our schooling here is
5 yo to 11 primary school
12 to 13 intermediate school
13 to 16/17 high school
Then Uni. All free until Uni. Uni used to be free until user pays came in. My daughter I put her through Uni then teachers college. My son didn't want to go to uni. He worked for me for his first 15 years.
I started at 14 nearly 15 and have never been out of work. I semi retired at 61. :)

Russ

I grew up in a working class area, I never knew anyone that went to university. Wasn't even an option. I was 5 foot 10 at 14 years old. And looked about 18 . Our schooling here is
5 yo to 11 primary school
12 to 13 intermediate school
13 to 16/17 high school
Then Uni. All free until Uni. Uni used to be free until user pays came in. My daughter I put her through Uni then teachers college. My son didn't want to go to uni. He worked for me for his first 15 years.
I started at 14 nearly 15 and have never been out of work. I semi retired at 61. :)

Russ
I sure am glad we scrimped and saved as much as we did. We never lived above our means, always drove cars for 10-15 years, never bought them new. Kids colleges all paid for, we have no credit card debt, own our house, cars, no loans, nada. Investments and money in the bank. So now I can stay home and cook more good food and stay away from the germy public!

I don't know why I keep going off topic here. I am so sorry!

I sure am glad we scrimped and saved as much as we did. We never lived above our means, always drove cars for 10-15 years, never bought them new. Kids colleges all paid for, we have no credit card debt, own our house, cars, no loans, nada. Investments and money in the bank. So now I can stay home and cook more good food and stay away from the germy public!

I don't know why I keep going off topic here. I am so sorry!

I gave my kids what I didn't have, we never had a car until I was 13, never had a holiday until I was 13. I thought it was normal.

Russ

On topic. We had chicken Kiev last night, daughter made it with store bought potatoes with a coating of herbs on them frozen. She bought them. First time we've had them, they were yummy. with steamed veges and a light gravy.

Forgot to put the night before we had dinner club (first wed of month) the choice was costas Greek on cranford st. Daughter put a hundy in my account to shout us dinner. She's moving out tomorrow with mr7 . We will miss them in some ways.
Lazy day today.

Russ

She has never had cold-smoked salmon (lox)? Shiny and deep orangey-pink.
Yes, she's had smoked salmon before. It's what the smoked salmon in the third pic looks like that immediately caught her eye.

And they say men are the ones with the dirty minds. :laugh:

But I am sure that back in the 1970s your parents didn't pay that much in property taxes. Not even close. Back when we were kids, public school funding came from a lot of other revenue sources than from levies and property taxes.

It almost all comes from property taxes in Texas. That's why we have a big disparity in school budgets here. Wealthier cities, like mine, with higher property values and property tax rates have the best schools. Frisco ISD even owns an indoor football stadium that our high schools play in. Poor rural communities have little money to work with. They need help from the State to be at least adequate.

Sorry, way off-topic.

CD

I had these round courgettes today and I decided to make a Courgette and Potato Parmigiana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom