What did you cook or eat today (July 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vietnamese 'Thit Kho Tau' - Pork belly slow-cooked in coconut water. It's very similar to the Chinese dish Red Cooked Pork, where they use water instead of coconut water, but they use Shaosing rice wine, which you won't find in the Vietnamese version. So I've basically taken the best of two worlds and combined them.
Method: Marinate pork belly with chopped spring onions, crushed garlic, light soy sauce, Shaosing rice wine and black pepper.
Caramelise the pork in some palm sugar, add water and coconut water (about half and half), soy sauce, fish sauce, some more rice wine, star anise, sliced ginger, spring onions, and bashed-up lemongrass stalks. Bring to a simmer and cook for a couple of hours. Serve with rice, pak choi and spring onions.

I did have to laugh because I shared a pic of my afternoon tea spread on a family group chat.

My mom is on the chat, and she's extremely sensitive to absolutely any vulgar words or anything like that. You can't even say "flipping," or "freaking," or anything off-color.

My brother got carried away and forgot she was a part of the chat, because I posted my pics, and several people complimented me and some asked questions about this or that, and then my brother Lee said (and I quote):

"You all have no idea. I have been to one of Reuben's tea parties, and they are the dog's balls!"

My mom, who usually doesn't comment and just enjoys the conversation, came back with:

"Shame on you, Lee. I thought I raised you up better than that. You need to apologize to Reuben and everyone else."

Followed immediately by:

"That all looks real nice, Reuben. I love you."

:laugh:

View attachment 42890

Vietnamese 'Thit Kho Tau' - Pork belly slow-cooked in coconut water. It's very similar to the Chinese dish Red Cooked Pork, where they use water instead of coconut water, but they use Shaosing rice wine, which you won't find in the Vietnamese version. So I've basically taken the best of two worlds and combined them.
Method: Marinate pork belly with chopped spring onions, crushed garlic, light soy sauce, Shaosing rice wine and black pepper.
Caramelise the pork in some palm sugar, add water and coconut water (about half and half), soy sauce, fish sauce, some more rice wine, star anise, sliced ginger, spring onions, and bashed-up lemongrass stalks. Bring to a simmer and cook for a couple of hours. Serve with rice, pak choi and spring onions.

Sounds and looks good. I have so much trouble with belly pork staying too fatty. I think the long slow cook must be the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom