What did you cook or eat today (July 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leftover lamb and chow sammy. Sooo good.

Russ

I didn't taste that.

You can quickly get bored with eating (and cooking) when you cannot taste the food.
My dad lost his sense of taste several years ago and says the same thing. From that point forward, he’s eaten very little at a time, because it’s no longer something he enjoys, it’s just something he does because he has to.

I've had a day in the kitchen today which no doubt I'll pay for (in back pain) tonight and tomorrow but tea is cooked for tomorrow and Wednesday at least.

I though the pumpkin corn bread needed a little extra something but it's the first time I've made it, so I'll know for next time but it worked well with the squash, leek & butter bean stew, a recipe from an old Irish vegetarian cookbook of ours picked up many years ago in a restaurant in Cork, Ireland. I do miss that restaurant....

That’d be a perfect Autumn meal here. Looks very good!
Yep, and given it's winter here it works well. The stew can use/uses 2 different squashes, though I only used the 1 because of waste.... I had 2 whole squashre, so only peeled one, so used 1.5kg of flesh for the stew and the remaining 250g for the 'bread'. Note to self, I now need for sunflower oil. I now need another recipe featuring squash to use up the other one...

Mrs. Next Door Neighbor asked if I would make a birthday cake for Mr. NDN and it was my choice, but wait, he does like chocolate.
I've decided on a Raspberry filled Chocolate Cake.
The cake & frosting recipe I make all the time from the side of the Hershey's Cocoa box but I wanted to jazz it up.
I read a bunch of recipes on line and mashed together my own version and I think it was a very good idea to make this ahead of time.

IMG_1900.JPG
IMG_1901.JPG
IMG_1902.JPG

One recipe I read said to ensure that the filling is quite thick. Best to remove the seeds to intensify the flavor and leave it sit the the `fridge to really develop.
I think I got it. It's very thick and a nice flavor already. It's almost cooled completely and then I'll stash it away.
I think I'll also make the cake ahead and freeze it, so that's out of the way and I can take my time.
The big day isn't for a week and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom